Stupid bystander tricks! Best use for a bystander! Got any?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm about to try to Heimlich this whale of a guy at Sizzler. His wife pipes up with "Are you sure you know what you're doing?".
("huuH! POP chomp chomp chomp...much better...chomp ..thanks...chomp chomp").

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i cant count how many times ive told stupid or pushy onlookers "this is my first day on the job and i missed the day in class where we covered this topic so im really just guessing". if you deliver the line well, they actually believe it.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
KEVD18 haha...

I once said "CPWhat? What's that?..." And believe it or not, someone believed me! haha.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh and I say something similar to KEVD18. Usually something along the lines of 'well we're pretty new to this.. so we're learning, great news tho.. noone has died yet today.. better than yesterday' of course it's always a lot more suited to the situation, but you get the drift ^_^

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
"Will this be your first time on an ambulance? ...Yeah? ...Me too!" :D

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah may not be best to make first day comments on cardiac patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Yeah may not be best to make first day comments on cardiac patients.

yeah but you'll get a change in the EKG really fast.

I like to do it with women in labor. Doesn't make me popular though. And I wonder why I haven't caught newborn yet.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My favorite trick with the buttinski bystander is to send them out to the road to flag down responding vollies. "No seriously man, I need someone to go out there and direct them in."

Most of the time these types simply want to be part of the 'event' and giving them something to do really helps. They are also great at finding the pt's med list, shoes, purse, putting the dog away, finding the phone # of the daughter who moved to Wisconsin last fall. As a last resort, have them go help the ff push the gurney.

beachemt

Forum Probie
I like to tell them to go play i mean direct traffic on the busiest street nearbye so that whay when they get hit i know exactly what im going to be dispatched to..... i mean thats just good job security ;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Cops used them once on a car versus pedestrian.

Adult intoxcated pedestrian was trapped under an old Cutlass, heavy on the ribcage and pt was scraped up a litte (was on a street corner on a residential street, car stopped immediately). Extrication vehicle was ?? hrs out. Cop has six bystanders grab the front bumper and lift while my partner was taking his turn under there with the pt and an O2 cylinder. Should have seen his face when the streetlight beamed in on them under there!

rjz

Forum Crew Member
maybe not a bystander

How about when you get a brand new fresh out of school EMT partner. When we would get a good stat call, I would poke my head through the window to the front and say, " I am a little scared right now, can you hand me that paramedic text book." It was great to watch the color drain from their face.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

rjz, you're an animal

What do you do to bystanders?

rjz

Forum Crew Member
The best bystander trick that I like is when they are standing right in front of the wrecked car waving you down. Walk up and say "is it this one?" and point to the non-wrecked car.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Poor little souls!

The best bystander trick that I like is when they are standing right in front of the wrecked car waving you down. Walk up and say "is it this one?" and point to the non-wrecked car.
LMAO!!!! My gosh you are a firecracker!! :p:p:p

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
That's when you grab the paddles and say, "OOOOOO, I've been waiting to try these out." Then make buzzing noises......

Yeah, that would be fun... Sadly, the company I work for doesn't have any actual paddles anymore. :sad: They only use the pads now. They say you can just stick 'em on and leave 'em and get your hands free for something else. Personally, I think the paddles must be more fun. B)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Uh...What?

better than pointing to the other car is taking the Jaws to it.
Well, maybe not....