Student from South Africa

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys/girls my name is Sheldon.I just quickly want to introduce myself. Im a 17y/o scholar from South Africa. I have done a level 3 first aid course and have been a volunteer at our local Fire Dept for just over a year now (Volunteer on weekends and holidays) I am looking to go to university and study a 4 year degree in Btech Emergency Medical Care. I have been to a lot of calls during my time at the FD but I haven't seen a dead person while I was on duty. The only problem I have is that at the moment I dont know if I will be able to cope with trauma cases etc etc. I want to start working as a 3rd person on the ambulances (ride along) so that I can be exposed to more medical calls than fire related calls. Do any of you guys know if a Btech degree in Emergency Medical Care is acknowledged(?)in countries like USA and Canada? If so how is it in comparison with your EMT-B and that type of courses? I cant wait to finish school an start studying because I really think Im going to enjoy it, that is IF I can cope with the stuff I will be exposed too.
Thanks for reading I hope to hear from you guys soon
Sheldon

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
There probably haven't been a lot of responses to this since it's not something a lot of us know anything about. I certainly don't know anything about the degree program you're talking about. EMT programs here in the US are fairly simple and certainly don't take anywhere close to 4 years.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Sheldon,
I am an American Paramedic that has worked overseas for the past several years (mostly in the middle east GCC region) I have worked with South African Paramedics in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, am now on my way to work with some in Qatar. From my understanding the btech degree for advanced paramedic in SA would be equivalent to the scope of practice, roles, and responsibilities of a typical U.S. Paramedic, most notably one with an AAS. I say this because I am generally given the same health licence as those guys ( as well as the Australian ICP's) when I file reciprocity into a foreign country. However, our American Paramedic education is not as long as yours, it is also more condensed, and vary's dramatically from region region. Regarding reciprocity, you should contact our NREMT nremt.org they are the national certification body for EMS people in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
Hey Sheldon,
I am an American Paramedic that has worked overseas for the past several years (mostly in the middle east GCC region) I have worked with South African Paramedics in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, am now on my way to work with some in Qatar. From my understanding the btech degree for advanced paramedic in SA would be equivalent to the scope of practice, roles, and responsibilities of a typical U.S. Paramedic, most notably one with an AAS. I say this because I am generally given the same health licence as those guys ( as well as the Australian ICP's) when I file reciprocity into a foreign country. However, our American Paramedic education is not as long as yours, it is also more condensed, and vary's dramatically from region region. Regarding reciprocity, you should contact our NREMT nremt.org they are the national certification body for EMS people in the USA.
Do you perhaps have a list that summarises all the different paramedic/emt levels like EMT-B? Thanks again