Stress

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
How do people deal with Stress in EMS/Fire/PD?

I used to deal with it by talking to co-workers (Fire Dept was the best place) sometimes the talk turned funny or raunchy; but it was a great way to relieve stress about things bothering you. Even if no one there was on the rough runs with me I could always say things like "remember the run that....". Never had to say "Hey I am being bothered by this"

Now where I work very few people have any experience in 'real' EMS. too many have gotten jobs here almost straight out of school. And the ones that have true experience are afraid to bring it up to others cause of the backstabbing that goes on here.

Professional counseling: good luck finding a counselor that has a clue: had to talk to some before: rough when you tell them about a so so run, just to see what their reaction with be (don't want to talk about really bad stuff if they can't handle easy stuff): she started crying, and asked me not to come back.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Running is my stress relief. I don't like talking to people in general, much less about my problems.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Turning gunpowder into smoke and noise and photography are my two main outlets. I used to race motorcycles and hope to grt back into that to blow off stress as well, same with paintball

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Large chocolate milkshakes from McDonalds. Not the healthiest outlet, I suppose, but better than EtOH...

The chat on this forum is generally pretty active if you want to talk to someone about something.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
too many have gotten jobs here almost straight out of school.
Well I mean, I am in school now because I kinda want a job....isn't that how its supposed to work? :confused:

Although to answer your question, I will run late at night, I too like to burn gunpowder, some fishing or hunting from time to time, pizza and whiskey on Tuesday with a friend, etc. For me right now, its more of a thing to just get away from anything EMS for a bit since between work/school/clinicals it is pretty much all I do, not a salty old dude yet.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Watch my shows on the DVR while having a few drinks.

Wouldn't call myself an alcoholic, but I'm definitely not truthful in my answer when my doctor asks "how many drinks Do you consume in an average week".

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I mean, I am in school now because I kinda want a job....isn't that how its supposed to work? :confused:.

I believe what he is saying is that new fire medics don't have much box time and therefore have fewer truly rough calls to reference. Green fire medics can be the absolute worst in regards to unfounded cockiness.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
traveling around the country to drink craft beer and dont get stressed about jobs. BLS is a pretty easy job

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Have a life outside of work. Work stays at work, have OTHER things to do and think about while not at work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Watch my shows on the DVR while having a few drinks.

Wouldn't call myself an alcoholic, but I'm definitely not truthful in my answer when my doctor asks "how many drinks Do you consume in an average week".
Lol i never can answer that honestly. I like beer too much, but since it never effects work or my life i dont quite fall under alcoholic

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Trying to live my life away from the ambulance to the fullest. I exercise, take my kids to the park, I'm pretty serious about competition shooting. Even though it adds it's own stresses, being in the National Guard is a stress relief for me. Getting out in the woods for a weekend, burning off energy, spending time with my guys, it's definitely a work-cation but I like it.

Also I try not to get too wrapped up in job. I don't want it to define me. I'd rather be Sunshine the guy who's bad at working on his car, than Sunshine the Paramedic.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I talk to my partner and some of my coworkers who I can relate to. I can't relate to my supe (he's still a good dude), so we don't talk about that. My partner and another medic, absolutely. We are also fortunate enough to have a medic on a different shift that recently finished his pHD psych program. He offers free counseling to area EMS, fire, and police.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
My mind doesn't work like that. Guess that's a good thing. Calls don't stress me out. Politics at work do. Captain Morgan's is fun though.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
My partner is PD and I'm EMS. You could say we have our fair share of stress to deal with but she plays professional woman's football and I barrel race and trail ride with my horse.

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't s*** where you eat... Don't have hobbies that are closely related to your career.