Strange, I know.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey peoples. I know this is strange to be asking this on an EMS website, but I am dead serious. I am looking for walnut lumber. I know lots of you live in the midwest/back east/down south and I dunno....I guess I have to ask if anyone has any walnut lumber.

Ha ha ha! I know I am strange. Especially since I am probably the first person to ask for something not EMS related.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hey peoples. I know this is strange to be asking this on an EMS website, but I am dead serious. I am looking for walnut lumber. I know lots of you live in the midwest/back east/down south and I dunno....I guess I have to ask if anyone has any walnut lumber.

Ha ha ha! I know I am strange. Especially since I am probably the first person to ask for something not EMS related.

Ha! We have 8 walnut trees in the yard, and burned one of them in the woodstove year before last. You are welcome to come over for the harvest. Walnut trees are a mess!

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha! We have 8 walnut trees in the yard, and burned one of them in the woodstove year before last. You are welcome to come over for the harvest. Walnut trees are a mess!

Oh my gosh! You have got to be kidding me! Are you serious???? Nobody out here would even think of burning hardwood! Oh that hurts!

Hey, I'll trade you like a whole shed full of larch fire wood, quarter split, delivered and stacked for one of those walnut trees. Ha ha ha!!!

Sent from a small, handheld electronic device that somehow manages to consume vast amounts of my time. Also know as a smart phone.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Likewise. I am willing to bet my dad would let you just have one of the walnut or hickory trees out of our woods if you were willing to fell it and haul it. PM me if you want me to check.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We have been busting our butts, and have next year's wood all split and stacked, for our house and for hubby's parents. We live in the middle of our small town, and tree men drop off wood they've cut from people's land at our house to save from going to the landfill. Win/win.

We were going to work on cleaning up the woodpile today, but it's going to be 100, with a heat index of 112. I think I'll just keep plugging along in the air conditioning.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Frank, you are strange

Brown would love some wood, Brown can build a shack or something rustic out in the woods to escape Mrs Brown :D

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Frank, you are strange

Brown would love some wood, Brown can build a shack or something rustic out in the woods to escape Mrs Brown :D
You seem to know your Indiana women better than I suspected. LOL

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I cannot believe you people. Out here, people pay upwards of $8 a board foot for black walnut lumber. That is why we burn fir and larch...that costs about $0.70 a board foot. Lol!

So anyhow, I'd love to take some of you up. But it may be a while since I live in Washington and cant really just come to Indiana spur of the moment. Ha ha ha!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Got walnut growing there? It's all over here by the rivers.

What use are you planning for it?

If you're doing small turnings like handles and Harry Potter wands and pens, try getting a piece of no-good old walnut furniture and scavenge from it.

If you're needing bigger stuff, how about buying someone's tree, then hiring a gypsy sawmiller to cut it and make boards for you? Thern you will have to rick it to dry it without too much warping. Sounding more expensive by the minute.
Oh, and the big old trees tend to be hollowed or rotten. Good luck with that.

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I'm rather big into woodworking. All I have used so far is fir and cedar though. I'd like to start doing some hardwood work.

My sister wants a blanket chest/hope chest thing so I thought I'd make her one, and I thought it would be nice to do it from some form of hardwood. I've seen some really nice looking black walnut chests. My end goal is to make my own walnut dining room table. But that might be years down the road seeing how expensive it is. (That is unless I can find a tree I can actually get at. Ha!)

mycrofft

Do it the old fashioned way.

Cedar (or nice redwood!) chest with veneer. Be about 20% lighter too.

Ozark Woodcrafter's Guild in Bernason MO used to turn out beautiful stuff like that. I have had one of their walnut shileighlighs (sp?) since 1970 and used it to kill water moccasins, hiking, and my wife used it with her bad knees for ten years. Tough struff once it's seasoned and worked right.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I tell you what....you make me a set of bookshelves (not out of walnut...maybe just cedar or something else along those lines) and I'll bring you the darn wood myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Last edited by a moderator: