Stomach flu or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
We were transporting a pt going to hospice. She had liver cancer and cancer elsewhere. Mid drive she threw up on herself and stretcher. We only had purple lid wipes to clean no bleach. Was it norovirus you guys think.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Lot of information, I say it was AIDS

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Purple lid cavi wipes won't cover you for that kind of stuff. Not with what you've told us. I'd dip any affected cloth or akin area in a 50% bleach solution for at least 30 minutes. The stretcher should be permanently removed from service.

OP
OP
C

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
Purple lid cavi wipes won't cover you for that kind of stuff. Not with what you've told us. I'd dip any affected cloth or akin area in a 50% bleach solution for at least 30 minutes. The stretcher should be permanently removed from service.

It was mostly on herself it wasn't a lot. Just a tiny bit on one of the straps. Got bleach after the following call and bleached it down with the bleach wipes. But I just don't want to catch anything.

The patients family said she threw up yesterday from her medication. Just praying I don't catch it if it is a bug

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hopefully you didn't catch her liver cancer.
It’s highly contagious if you didn’t wear the correct P100 respirator. It’s an airborne disease.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
With the information provided, there is absolutely no way any of us can make an intelligent diagnosis. The entire DDx for vomiting is possible. Chances are it was either motion sickness or related to her cancer, but we cant possibly know that.

This is no business for germophobes who cant control their issue. you will come in contact with sick people every day. If you cant wash your hands and move on with your day, I would suggest another line of work. If you're going to stress out every time a patient coughs, sneezes, vomits, or bleeds on you, you're going to be a nervous wreck in a week.

OP
OP
C

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
With the information provided, there is absolutely no way any of us can make an intelligent diagnosis. The entire DDx for vomiting is possible. Chances are it was either motion sickness or related to her cancer, but we cant possibly know that.

This is no business for germophobes who cant control their issue. you will come in contact with sick people every day. If you cant wash your hands and move on with your day, I would suggest another line of work. If you're going to stress out every time a patient coughs, sneezes, vomits, or bleeds on you, you're going to be a nervous wreck in a week.

Thank you, what would yoiu have done with the stretcher if there was a tiny bit on one strap just wipe it off with bleach? And her sister gave the patient a snicker bae before we arrived and that was pretty much what she threw up of that helps

OP
OP
C

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
So say yo
Decon the stretcher and return to service.

No, the composition of the emesis isn't relevant.

Thanks for response. So we only had the purple lids at the time and we washed it down with those but I know they don't get rid of norovirus. So we used the stretcher one more time until we found bleach wipes and wiped it all down with those. Is that sufficient or should we had call out of service and swap stretchers and such

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
It's fine. You're fine. You'll come across all sorts of cooties. It's no big deal. Clean your equipment, wash your hands, and be on to the next one.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@chickj0434 I would be more concerned about your own psychoneurosis if I were you. It's likely going to do you in much quicker than any of these communicable diseases; in fact it sounds like it already is.

Do yourself a favor and seek professional help, or leave this line of work altogether, it most likely isn't for you. And, please stop creating threads about every perceived exposure, I hardly doubt I am the only one tired of hearing about them.

And yes, I have been stuck by needles and even had body fluids come into direct contact with my eyes. You know what I didn't do? Obsesses. You need the kind of help none of us can offer you, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.