Still looking for opinions on Polyheme blood substitute

krj00

Forum Ride Along
Sorry for the repeated topic but the last thread kind of got Hijacked!

FYI Just to update, Polyheme is polymerized hemoglobin in saline solution. It carries oxygen, needs no crossmatch, shelf stable for 1 year, transmits no disease, reduces MOF. It is in phase 3 trial at 30 level i trauma centers,Denver, Mayo, Loyola, Duke, Brooke Army, Indiana, Texas, Cal, Tennessee, Virginia, KC, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut. Government granted waiver of informed consent. 600 of 720 patients are enrolled. Has passed 4 Independent Data Monitoring Committee safety assessments. Has been infused 20 units in twenty minutes. It is exciting to here anecdotal stories from the EMT community. If you can comment, please do.

A reply from another board:

I used it last week.. It seemed to work pretty good... Auto Vs. Ped

Pt. got a total of 6 units of Polyheme before he was sent to the OR...

And one more:

It is carried here on the study. It was used one time while I was riding. We had a 28yo male severe bleeding due to arterial laceration on arm. He was pretty lathargic when we arrived. Fire first responders bandaged the bleeding with a "lousy" gauze. Vitals were bp 60/palp, HR 70, R 22. Did the usual treatment, rebandaged, o2, monitor, and IV. We called the trauma center to get approval to admin polyheme instead of NS. It was accepted to admin it. On arrival to the hospital we probally infused around 200cc and his pressure was 88/64. He went to the ED then straight to surgery probally around 30 mins. His pressure was 112/86. That was still from the first bag. Gotta say the stuff is neat.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
krj00 said:
Sorry for the repeated topic but the last thread kind of got Hijacked!

That usually happens, it's okie dokie.

I've never used it, never seen it used, and never read up on it much either.

I have three choices in my jump bag, Saline Solution, Lactated Ringers and Dextrose Solution. >MY< Standing orders on all Trauma Patients are 2 lg bore IV's; 1x750 NSS, 1x1000 LR.

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
it it bieng tested on the ambulance in KS (i believe johnson county) but i dont know the result as of yet.
i will check and see if i can find out any more and post it:p