Still in school but completely worried about employment

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I am honestly looking for some advice. I am currently still in EMT school in the state of New York and I'm so excited to finish and move to Florida and start my career. I plan to get my NREMT certification but after that i have no clue what my next steps should be and what i should expect:(. PLEASE HELP!!!

Angel

Paramedic
honestly you should probably finish school first. if you dont pass then youre just stressing yourself out over nothing.
that said, i know nothing about NY or FL reciprocity, but their website should be of some help.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
I find Florida website to be nothing but confussing it takes me in circles

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Unless you have experience and want to be a firefighter Florida is a hard gig to get a job as a basic. Plus you'd have to take the FL state test, since I don't believe they offer 100% reciprocity with registry.

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
I have a friend that lives in Florida. He said don't come here looking for work as an EMT/Medic, it has the highest amount of EMT's/medics of any state.

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

As Angel said, I wouldn't worry about employment until you finish school and get certified. If you are moving to Florida for the sole purpose of finding work I wouldn't recommend it. But if you are moving there for other personal reasons, I don't want to discourage you. It's certainly not impossible to find work as an EMT in Florida, but it may not be the ideal state to move to. My friend moved to Jacksonville last year and got hired as a basic. If you can, I would check out some other cool places to move to. But if you have to move to Florida, I'm sure you'll find something.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
As Angel said, I wouldn't worry about employment until you finish school and get certified. If you are moving to Florida for the sole purpose of finding work I wouldn't recommend it. But if you are moving there for other personal reasons, I don't want to discourage you. It's certainly not impossible to find work as an EMT in Florida, but it may not be the ideal state to move to. My friend moved to Jacksonville last year and got hired as a basic. If you can, I would check out some other cool places to move to. But if you have to move to Florida, I'm sure you'll find something.
Thank you for the reassurance and yes i have to move to Florida for personal reasons not for the sole purpose of employment i am just hoping for the best, I plan to move to the Tampa Bay Area

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thank you for the reassurance and yes i have to move to Florida for personal reasons not for the sole purpose of employment i am just hoping for the best, I plan to move to the Tampa Bay Area
Try sunstar in Pinellas if you're moving to that area. I have honestly considered applying there and TGH Airmed
I miss my home state

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
I would venture to say CA has more EMTs and Medics

After some research, You are indeed correct.

In 2012, there were 16,800 employed EMTs and paramedics, with projected annual job openings at 850.

In 2012, there were 9,510 employed EMTs and paramedics, with projected annual job openings at 470.

Source: http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-2041.00#WagesEmployment

I am horrible at math and statistics, but I guess you could interpret this data as there are more people in California (~38 million compared to ~19 million in Florida), and therefore more of a demand for EMTs and paramedics.

My guess is that you will not have too much of an issue finding a job in Florida.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Try sunstar in Pinellas if you're moving to that area. I have honestly considered applying there and TGH Airmed
I miss my home state
I believe the OP is just finishing EMT school, so a flight service might not be his best bet...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
yea i was looking into sunstar never heard of tgh airmed but i will look it up
Airmed is something you can't do for a while lol. I meant those are my choices. Sunstar is good and amr has operations in the area. Check with them