• Single Tube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There's more than one choice?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A discussion I had at the fire department today got me thinking about this. What type of stethoscope do you prefer and why? I'm not talking about brand name, but the desgn of the stethoscope itself.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Single tube, and light. I don't like bulky stethoscopes. I also like it to have an acoustic, single sided head b/c I don't like the "finger sounds" caused by touching the other side of the scope.

And soft ear pieces.. I can't hear well w/ those hard plastic tips.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I prefer single tube. Unfortunately, all the ones we carry on our rigs are dual tube.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
I prefer the single the duals rub together and make too much noise I also have to have the soft tips the hard ones hurt my ears

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Mar 10 2005, 11:17 AM
I prefer the single the duals rub together and make too much noise I also have to have the soft tips the hard ones hurt my ears
x2

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I carry a single with me when I ride, and I have a spare (cheap single) in my jump kit incase I don't have my good one... but we have doubles on the ambulance. I use either, very little difference.

We all carry our own here for hygiene reasons, so everyone carries what they like.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I would like to have one permanently attatched to me because it always dissapears. <_<

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I prefer the single tube because that way you don't have the rubbing sound created by the two tubes hitting each other. All the ones in our rigs are single tubed. I also like the soft ear pieces as the hard ones I don't think work as well :D

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't have a problem with the dual tubes rubbing together, but I've tightened down on the tube clamps a little bit. I prefer dual tube (and I'm the only one in my department that does).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I own three scopes, all single tube or dual in single design.

My clinical scope is a DRG cardiac scope with a safe-sound diaphragm. This is my primary scope, and I LOVE it.

My backup scope (I keep it at work right now) Is an ADC Litmann Cardiology ripoff, also using a safe-sound flexible diaphragm.

My spare, in my little blue bag, is a Litmann Master Classic. Very nice scope, but I don't use it much. It is also the only scope I have that hasn't been whackered up with tape and a BAAM (I've got to look the part of the -P student :lol: )

All of my scopes have the litmann nameplate on them, so I don't often lose them, and when I do they sometimes make it back to me.

My ADC scope was bought on EBAY, and by the time I added the safe-seal diaphragm and the nameplate I paid 30 dollars. A decent scope doesn't have to be expensive.

Jon

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
dual is what i carry with me....

but really single or dual.... hmmmm give me something that i can hear with.....something LOUD

whats the pt's lungs sound like.... bi-lat- humming when going down the road at 60mph......

so i checkem before we load... and if it's a dif-breathing.. checkem at the intersections... ..... i can hear the big changes.. but I want clear sounds...

then i again i have a long want list

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by GVRS672@Mar 11 2005, 12:13 PM
dual is what i carry with me....

but really single or dual.... hmmmm give me something that i can hear with.....something LOUD

whats the pt's lungs sound like.... bi-lat- humming when going down the road at 60mph......

so i checkem before we load... and if it's a dif-breathing.. checkem at the intersections... ..... i can hear the big changes.. but I want clear sounds...

then i again i have a long want list
During my class I was using a horrible cheap steth that came in BP set from the college bookstore... bad idea. Anyway, my mom is a nurse so I stole her nice single tube littman and I could hear better at my clinicals, but I was having a lot of trouble with hearing on my ride alongs... not really lung sounds as much as auscultating a BP. I could get one when we were stopped at a light, but while we were moving it was pretty much pointless and I ended up giving a lot of */palp. Even that was hard sometimes when the pt had weak pulses I was getting falsely low BP because I couldnt feel it that well. I'm guessing it gets better with experience... I hope!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
littmann master cardiology as my primary.
littmann classik in my j.k. also serves as a back up when i leave the house w/o th mc

rigs have the cheapest single tube scopes you can buy. cant hear a damn thing with them

soft eartips for me as well

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a Littmann Classic 2 SE, a Cardiology 3, and a cheeeaaapppp dual tube piece of junk that I never use. I have soft ear pieces on all. I like my C3 the best. Great sound in ever situation. I used the dual tube for all of two or three runs and found I heard to much noise coming from the tubes rubbing together.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I've got a Littman Master Classic that I talked an engraver into putting my name and the star of life onto, somehow, it just never disappeared....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Apr 23 2005, 01:20 PM
I've got a Littman Master Classic that I talked an engraver into putting my name and the star of life onto, somehow, it just never disappeared....
How did he do that??? I want to Pimp My Scope!!!

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Here's a picture, I had to sign a waiver incase he screwed up, it was a higher dollar item vs. what he's used to working on, but he did it well, and I was happy, about $25 later. Sorry, the flash blurs part of it.
steth.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Cool.

I know someone who had his name "engraved" on the tubing - trying to find who does that - would be cool.

My latest peeve is that I bought a Littmann Lightwieght II SE off of ebay, and the guy sent me an "orginal" Lightwieght. I'm now having to explain the difference to the guy who sold me it. :rolleyes: :angry: :angry:

I want one of the funky-shaped new ones... :D :lol: :rolleyes:

Jon