Staying Focus

Mario876

Forum Probie
Hey I about a month away from taking my EMT exam and I am feeling pretty good about it however as the time begins to get closer I notice that my cocky side has began to start lacking off not wanting to practice my primary assessment and all my other practicals (Splints etc) ...... Do I really need to be worried about this ???????

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well seeming how you need to pass all the skills to pass the test, yes I would be concerned.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Isn't the state exam my biggest obstacle ..???
Umm, what? You need to be proficient enough to perform your skills since, you know, that will be your job... And you'll need to have learned the material well enough to pass the test. So maybe try hard on both?...

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Maybe pretend as if someone's life will eventually be in your hands, and that you could prevent or cause someone's death simply by noticing or missing minor cues that are taught during your studies.

Now, this is not always the case, but I usually have about one call a year where my spidey senses start tingling.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Since you're asking, I'd say, yeah, you should worry. There's a line between confident and cocky; too much of the latter isn't going to help you remember how to do stuff, and won't endear you to your preceptors.

Practical exams mostly measure your ability to follow scripts and algorithms to treat classic prehospital presentations. You won't get brownie points for pointing out minute details or naming obscure conceivable etiologies. Those are things cocky students sometimes do. My advice is (1) practice your stations until they no longer require thought, then (2) repeat #1.

By the way, even if you pass, start a career in EMS and, ten years from now, bask in all of the knowledge you've accumulated, cocky still won't be cool.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh, how important are assessments and basic skills? It's not like we need them right?....yes....you need to practice. Good understanding of the assessment will make the NREMT easier and you kind of need to be proficient at skills to pass state. And I don't think anyone wants to have a lazy partner, so I'd suggest knowing your basics.