1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Staying Cool

Discussion in 'HEMS and Air Medical Transport' started by Chase, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Chase

Chase Flight Nurse

Education:
    EMT
    It is a lovely humid 100 degree day today. Aside from the basics of staying hydrated and such does anyone have any tips/tricks to staying cool in the summer heat?

For me a good headband is a must to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I like "Junk" brand. Great material, cool designs, and thin enough fit under under my helmet with the Oregon Aero Zetaliner.

It is always a risk vs reward with undershirts trying to find something that keeps you cool but won't melt to your skin in a fire. Currently wearing Under Armour Charged Cotton which are pretty good.

I have a cooling towel but really haven't used it much. Always seem to forget about it.

2. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I just stick a water in the freezer at the start of each shift, put it in my helmet/ ball cap and let the ice melt throughout the call; drink as needed.

In-flight I like to put my arms up to A/C vents and allow the air conditioning to trickle down my shirt/ sleeves. I do the same by leaning forward, and allowing the cool air to run down the back of my neck.

Our water delivery service doles out electrolyte freezer pops which is also helpful. Other than that I simply wear a skullcap underneath my hat, nothing more; no fancy breathable undergarments.

3. NysEms2117

NysEms2117 Parole officer/EMT

Education:
    EMT
    Idk if you guys can fit this under your gear but for warrants in the summer with all my gear on i have something called "the absorber". I tuck it into my undershirt after letting it cool in the fridge/freezer. It starts by cooling you. Then it does what its name says and absorbs the sweat.
    I know its synthetic, but it doesn't aggravate my skin.
    https://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synthetic-Drying-Chamois-Natural/dp/B0000AY69V

4. Summit

Summit Critical Crap

5. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Have you tried any of the flame resistant Cordura products? I have one that I really like.

6. CANMAN

CANMAN Forum Captain

Attempted to wear an ice cooling vest my second year flying and sold it to some other joker about a week after I bought it. It was good, but bulky, and leaked/sweated so in turn you were just as soaked as just sweating. It was a very expensive vest as well that promised not to have those issues.

I also wear under amour charged cotton shirts and typically just wear that and boxer's under my flight suit year round and change out halfway through the shift during the summer. I am also full-time nights by choice so that has certainly helped at my new program vs. when I was working 24's during the summer last year. Used to work with a pilot who would take a short section of vent tubing and run it from the circular vent in the front and down the back of his neck/flight suit and claimed that worked very well. I just tough it out. Our normal "long flight" is an hour, and flying in high heat vs. turnout gear and working house fire during the same day anytime...

VentMonkey likes this.
  7. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Forum Chief

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    I guess I lucked out flying fixed wing. By the time we got to altitude and got halfway to our destination, I was anxious to get back down into the heat.

VentMonkey likes this.
  8. RocketMedic

RocketMedic Just Like Otters!

Education:
    Paramedic
    The whole "clothes might melt to you" sounds really unpleasant

TransportJockey likes this.
  9. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    HEMS rule number 1- don't die.

HEMS rule number 2- ref. Fight Club rule #1.