State Testing - Upper Extremities Splinting

Jeffrey M Freeman

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone have a resource for documentation or video of the various upper extremity splinting? I get various hits on the internet but they seem to perform differently from video to video.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
For pre hospital or ED?

BSN medical (the manufacturer of ortho-glass) has quite a few resources available for more detailed stuff.

For NR/state, follow the skill sheet. The fine details are much less important than holding the extremity still, applying above and below, and checking CMS.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I tell my EMT students all the time that splinting is more art than science.

Does it immobilize the injured area? did you check CMS before and after? did you avoid committing any of the cardinal sins? as long as it works, it's good enough.

OP
OP
J

Jeffrey M Freeman

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking for documentation on how to splint the upper extremities such as the Scapula, Clavicle, Mid-Shaft Forearm, Shoulder, Mid-Shaft Humerus, Elbow and Wrist. These are the seven that are needed to be known to go into the State testing. I can't find anything that shows you how to splint with cravats and padded boards.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
wasn't this covered in your EMT class? repeatedly? wouldn't a great resource be your EMT instructor?