state practical TONIGHT!

starbucks4511

Forum Probie
Hello everyone! Tonight is my state practical! I am taking it in PA. Random uestion...in ur trauma station did u say DCAP BTLS the acronym or the whole thing? I am feeling decently confident and i know I can do this! Thanjs

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I said DCAP BTLS and then followed it by saying all of it the first time, after that I would only say dcap btls

Strap

Forum Crew Member
I think you should plan to say it in full the first time, then use the acronym after that.

One thing some places teach...When the evaluator reads the instructions and asks if you have any questions, you say "Before we start can I explain the acronyms I'm going to be using?" If they say yes, which I think they almost always will, then you give them DCAP-BTLS, AVPU, and whatever else. It shows you know your stuff, and you don't waste time during the actual timed evaluation.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello everyone! Tonight is my state practical! I am taking it in PA. Random uestion...in ur trauma station did u say DCAP BTLS the acronym or the whole thing? I am feeling decently confident and i know I can do this! Thanjs

Certainly say all of it while walking down the patient:

I'm examining the patient, beginning with their head. During this evaluation I am looking for deformities, contusions, penetrations or puncture wounds, burns, tenderness, lacerations, swelling, or any signs of hemorrhage such as bleeding I can see or blood on my gloves. Are any of these findings present on their head? <touch their head all over, palpate zygomas, etc> Their neck? (Sir/Ma'am) does it hurt when I touch here <touching back of neck>? ...

When I evaluate students I'm looking for comprehension of the actual skill rather than memorization of the mnemonic! If you're just slinging words and acronyms without putting your hands on the patient you'll likely fail.

Good luck!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
When I am testing if the person being examined does not say it, I ask them what it means.