State Inspections

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
Here in Ky state inspections are scheduled.I think this is not the best way due to the fact a service can operate below standards for aleast 364 days of a year.Then on the day of inspection have everything right.I was wondering in your state if inspections are scheduled or random.Thanks

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Here in Ky state inspections are scheduled.I think this is not the best way due to the fact a service can operate below standards for aleast 364 days of a year.Then on the day of inspection have everything right.I was wondering in your state if inspections are scheduled or random.Thanks

random but since we have 5 stations...it kind of gets out when they are here lol.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Purely random...........................

Maybe its just me, but be compliant and then you have nothing to worry about!

Man, call me crazy................

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In MA, they threaten both. There is an annual inspection nessecary to renew the ambulance license, then the threat of random inspections (at ANY time, even when transporting a patient, in which case, the inspector follows until you turn patient care over to another ambulance or hospital).
I have been on ambulances that have been busted (or cited) for the smallest problems-- having two, instead of three boxes of tissues, two, instead of three pillows, not having the garbage container secured (okay, that makes sense), and for having one piece of gauze out of date (who knew gauze had an expiration date?!?)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone know what kind of equiptment is required to pass inspections?

way too broad a question. what state(and in some cases, what county)? what level of licensure? etc etc

i could almost quote the par levels at both the als and bls levels in ma, but thats about it.

as far as ma inspections go, the annuals is sort of a cross between random and scheduled. your just about certain what MONTH they will come in(usually around 2 months prior to expiration). then usually no more than 3 days before, the state will inform the service that they are next.

in ma, they dont just inspect the vehicles. they inspect the station, they spot check the trip records, everything. but to do that, they need to have certain people from the service present. the street team usually doesnt have a key to the bosses office right.

they will also spot check ambulance on the road. this is usually a bloody mess. most(by many times over) of the ambulances in mass are privately owned transfer trucks. since private companies are in business to make money, certain compliance issues are overlooked. as previously mentioned, your truck can be pulled off the road and or the company fined heavily if your truck doesnt pass muster. sometimes you can skate(missing a bunch of trauma stuff, but just worked an ugly mva no problem. but if your short half of the stuff on the list, your not talking your way out of it. some companies have contracts miles away from their base and since time unoccupied is very expensive, its a rare occurrence that you get to go back to base to restock. this also comes into play if your working for one of the cheaper companies. you know the type, the dont preemptively order supplies so that they never run out. they wait until not only is the supply room empty, but the trucks them selves are running out of stuff. i can remember one service i worked for where there wast a set of headblock to be found on any truck in my station(11 total). we were back to using towel rolls.

the vast majority of field inspections are done after a complaint is made against a service. oems really takes pride in doing as little as possible, so they dont like to do extra work. the ems situation in my state is really very sad.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
were done on a random basis here. But we always make it happen...we don't have to scrap and make false compliance measures just to pass.B)