cointosser13

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking into maybe getting employed with Stat Medevac as a Paramedic in 3 years or so. When I looked at the requirements, it said you need the required certs, which I have all of them, and three years of critical care and/or emergency department. I have 1 year of emergency department experience and I have roughly just 1 year of experience in the ambulance with Fire/Rescue. It's hard to believe that they would just "envite" someone with three years of emergency department experience when I feel like just working in the emergency department for 3 years is NOT enough experience? I'm not required to know the lab values, or interpret the EKGs in the ED (even though I'm trying to get good at it). I know under Stat Medevac they would like for all their providers to know how to interpret every EKG in the world, know how how to interpret lab values and much much more....so how should I go about this so the medical director and the company themselves can trust me when I'm the back of the helicopter? I don't know what they do to test your knowledge, does anybody know their hiring process?

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
So I am familiar with the service , but not the specific hiring process.

I can tell you that no flight service I know of will consider ED experience (on the Paramedic/Tech) level alone as particularly relevant. What they are looking for is years of busy 911 experience as well as critical care transport. Adding ED time to this resume would not hurt, but as you point out it's not really a job that requires a lot of clinical decision making.

I would suggest you try and get some experience on a ground critical care unit while you work ALS. But again, this just a general suggestion and not tailored to Stat specifically.