Starting Paramedic School next week!

leb1990

Forum Ride Along
Hello all!
I'm starting Paramedic School next week! Finally after working 7 years as an EMT-B in Missouri/Kansas I finally bit the bullet and applied. The course is one day a week for 8 hours, I work 3-12's at my job. I've currently been working at Children's Mercy in Kansas as a ED Tech. I'm open and willing for any an all advice on balancing work, studying, personal life would be appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance!!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Make sure your significant other knows you'll have less discretionary time.
2. As soon as you feel yourself falling behind, get caught up -- even if you have to ask for help.
3. Try different ways of studying until you find what works best for you.
4. Don't forget to eat. You're feeding your brain, too.
5. When there's four hours before an exam and you haven't slept during the past 24, trust the outcome to the angels and get at least three hours of shut-eye.

OP
OP
leb1990

leb1990

Forum Ride Along
Got it! I've got number 1. Taken care of! Thank you for your help!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Don't overthink it.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
With an 8hr/wk schedule, I suspect you'll have plenty of time to get your work done. It's also going to take you halfway to forever to finish didactic; but if that's all that's on offer(or what you feel will work best for you), then I guess it will work. Hopefully you'll be able to do clinicals and ride time at a brisker pace so you can be a medic before you retire.

Beyond that, do your reading, take notes, ask questions, prioritze your life and get it done.

The first time I went to medic school, I was 22(by the calendar since birth). I didn't see any logical reason why a person couldn't work full time(and then some), go to school full-time, and party full time. Naturally, that didn't go well. Make smart decisions. There will still be bars, parties, "fun" after medic school, but doing school twice sucks the high hard one.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Quit and get you AS in Nursing.....

My school was terrible and it was the worst experience of my life. If it wasnt for having a great class and working outside, around and over our educational site and dealing directly with our state DOH, I probably wouldnt be a medic

So maybe thats my advice, youre all in this together. Study together, make a facebook group/whatsapp/telegram ect to talk and study, get drinks together and such. Having the communal support will be immensely helpful.

OP
OP
leb1990

leb1990

Forum Ride Along
I'm not looking into doing Nursing. That's the thing. I've tried nursing and didn't like it.

OP
OP
leb1990

leb1990

Forum Ride Along
HometownMedic,,
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it! I've already stocked up on flash cards. Things like that. I'm just fortunate that I have Pediatric experience that I do! And plenty of other resources. Take care my friend!