Starting IVs Next Week, any Tips?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
My Intermediate class is starting IVs next week any I was wondering if anyone has tips to keep me from looking like an idiot my first time. This can range from ways to keep from poking yourself to "how to tape like a boss". Thanks in advance!

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Understand that sometimes you won't get the IV. Don't beat yourself up about it. I've seen alot of students get intimidated by IVs after 1 or 2 patients and then get scared to try more.

Hopefully you'll have a good preceptor or nurse that you can pose questions to or can assist you with site recognition and/or monitor your performance providing good feedback. Take their feedback and use it to learn, don't let your ego close your mind.

I had good days and bad days with IVs while doing my clinicals, it was pretty frustrating at times. My biggest problem was palpating to find a site, which I fixed by studying more anatomy and doing blindfolded site finding on a training arm (just find the site blindfolded, then take off the blindfold before cleaning and sticking).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Paients don't really like when you say "I've never done this before but I've seen it done on YouTube"

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like alpha said, don't get discouraged if you miss some, especially your first time. Just take your time, don't get in a rush and focus on what you're doing.

A little tip that I found helped me a lot was to let the flash chamber fill up all the way before trying to advance the catheter. If you only get a little flash, drop your angle and advance the needle a little more until the chamber fills.

Oh, and don't forget to pop the tourniquet, it's kind of embarrassing having your pt. say "is this supposed to stay on?" :p Plus it helps reduce the bleeding if you don't occlude well enough.

Sent from my mobile command center

medic417

The Truth Provider
which I fixed by studying more anatomy and doing blindfolded site finding on a training arm (just find the site blindfolded, then take off the blindfold before cleaning and sticking).

I agree the key to success is feeling rather than seeing. Often I will just visit with a patient and be feeling while I am making eye contact with them. Once I feel the site I want then I look down.

Now I wonder what your patients think when they see you coming at them with a needle and a blindfold?:unsure:
;)

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Almost everyone in my class, including myself, had a bad habit of "re-touching" the area of insertion causing us to have to re-clean the area. We lacked confidence. Our instructor would always say "the vein is still there, it didn't go anywhere!" I think remembering to drop your angle helps a great deal as well. When I was doing my county 911 clinical I had an EMT make me a little toy to practice on...He took a styrofoam coffee cup and taped cut up pieces of drinking straws all around to act as a makeshift arm and vein. He gave me a 20g and said go to town.

Oh, also, its a good idea to make sure you've got all your materials(cut tape, tagaderm...) within reach, it gets kinda tricky if you have to do that while occluding and what not. Just my 2 cents.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OG notes

You will learn to "know" the distance to pierce and advance through training and experience. Mistakes in practice are golden, not so good later on if you were just lucky in class. Notn only have the materials handy, but do not get all excited if you are using a system that allows a bit of blood to escape before attaching the tubing; I've seen IV's started then screwed up when the matador lunged for bleeding control and jostled the catheter hub.
Oh, and don't wear any wackerish tee shirts.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
Taping.

Function over form. It amazes me as to the lengths people go to, to do intricate time wasting taping puzzles.

KISS. Tagaderm, opsite, or whatever you use and 3 pieces of tape. I have never needed anything different.

Also, remember as you go up is size, to advance a bit more so that the larger bore is well within the vein.

Slow movements hurt. Controlled speed is less painful for the patient.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Familiarize yourself with the equipment. This may sound silly, but for the longest time I would carry pieces in my pocket and every now and again take them out just so I can visualize the connections and parts. Searching, and looking quizically at your equipment before sticking a patient can be a little unsettling for them.

Learn to feel the vein. I almost never go for the one I can see, it is the one you can feel that is best.

And, when you introduce yourself... say something like I normally work in an ambulance and need a certain amount of hospital time for my new license level. Makes them feel at eased, and sometimes they think ambulance people are cool.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
And, when you introduce yourself... say something like I normally work in an ambulance and need a certain amount of hospital time for my new license level. Makes them feel at eased, and sometimes they think ambulance people are cool.

Why say anything about his status at all? Just introduce yourself and tell them you're there to start the intravenous line. Act like a duck, all calm and cool on the surface but paddling like hell underneath.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Re TAPING

Oh, heck yes!!!

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Act calm, cool, and confident. It will definitely impact the patient and they will be more at ease. On the surface, act like you've done it a thousand times, but do it like you were starting the IV on one of your parents.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why say anything about his status at all? Just introduce yourself and tell them you're there to start the intravenous line. Act like a duck, all calm and cool on the surface but paddling like hell underneath.

Exactly. If you tell me you're a student, you're not touching me unless I know you really well.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Some clinical sites require students to introduce themselves as students and to ask if the patient minds them performing the procedure.

OP
OP
J

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Act calm, cool, and confident. It will definitely impact the patient and they will be more at ease. On the surface, act like you've done it a thousand times, but do it like you were starting the IV on one of your parents.

My mom bruises easily and they blow pretty much every vein they hit on her, so this is good advice, I think???

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Slow movements hurt. Controlled speed is less painful for the patient.

This. Pierce the skin fast, and then advance slowly. Don't understand what I'm talking about? Have someone start a line on you, but have them slowly pierce the skin.

The majority of my patients tell me they didn't feel a thing.... The same can't be said when my partner does it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Good advice from everyone so far!

Just remember to not be like me on your first stick. I don't know what I did (or didn't maybe?) do, but this was the result. :-S My poor partner. :-( I felt horrible!
c6e4d3fc-5af9-3873.jpg
Aftermath of an AC stick gone bad. :-S

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Good advice from everyone so far!

Just remember to not be like me on your first stick. I don't know what I did (or didn't maybe?) do, but this was the result. :-S My poor partner. :-( I felt horrible!
c6e4d3fc-5af9-3873.jpg
Aftermath of an AC stick gone bad. :-S

Could be worse....it could have been YOUR blood on his arm...that would be interesting to explain to your instructor....:rofl: