Starting Basic class in 3 wks; have a few questions

350chevy

Forum Probie
Hello everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am going to start my B class in 3 weeks. I have a few questions though. I am also looking for advice from those who have been in the field for awhile. Feel free to PM me and start up a discussion. Thank you and have a great day! :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

Ask your questions here in the forum. That's what it's here for. :D

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
I'm basically looking for any advice on things I should be doing before I start my class, How to get the most out of class, and study tips. Also, the numero uno question, state or national certification? I'm still on the fence on that one; need to make up my mind. Thanks again.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Start looking through your book. Study up on anatomy and physiology if you haven't taken any basic science classes.

The class itself is very, very easy in regards to the material and the amount of skills you will learn. Just don't fall too far behind, that's the only way I could imagine the course causing any problems.

You should be able to sit for both exams if you want. Usually you would take your state exam, then apply to test for the NREMT. Applying for the registry should be available to all current state certified EMTs, so why not hold off then take it if you need to.

Other than that, finish school, learn what you can in the field for about 6mos-1yr and then move on to bigger and better things in your education and career.

Regards.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
where at in IL are you? I start my medic classes either this spring or fall depending on how a few things go.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Go national, thats what i plan to do when i take my basic after i get a little more experience under my current level, as far as Class goes, practice helps.
Get a few family members to help, take BPS, vitals etc. Practice makes perfect, any way good luck. almost forgot, take lots of notes, the info will stick better that way, i never reviewed mine and passed my written for E.M.R. almost perfectly.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Never stop learning. If you're curious about something beyond that provided to you by the text or the course, keep going and learn more. And do ride time if its available, nothing like real experience.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why limit yourself to a state or NREMT certificate when you can have both? It can help if you end up moving to another state.

Read your book, ask questions if something doesn't make sense. On your rotations be willing to jump into calls instead of just sitting back and watching, but don't tread on peoples toes. Like others said practice vitals over and over again. Learn the science behind the drugs you can give as a B instead of just memorizing the indications, contraindications and so forth, it makes it easier if you understand how the drug works instead of just saying "hmm chest pain, that means nitro and ASA" type of thing.

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
Thank you all so much. I have been given the chance to do some ride time with the service that's teaching the class so I'm going to take it. I have had AP science and biology so I don't think that's going to be a problem. My aunt is a NICU charge nurse so I know a little about pediatrics and drug doseage, i.e. how to calculate doseage, dilution ratios, etc. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be the test. I usually do fine in class but tests aren't my favorite thing. Thanks again for the advice and tips. Also, 1 more question. How long should I wait before taking my bridge to Paramedic? My instructor said I could take it right after B certification but I'm not for sure.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Well, as far as drug calcs and dilution ratios you won't really need that until your EMT-I if you decide to go that direction instead of straight to paramedic.

Personally, I have been a B for 2 years now and am sitting for my NREMT-I in 3 weeks, then am applying to medic school that starts in july, but I also have pt contact hours rather than just going B-P without working.

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
I am leaning more towards national right now. The only thing that threw up a red flag with me was recertifying every 2 years instead of 4 and the traveling I'd have to do to take the classes and the test but I think it'd be worth it in the long run. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. :)

emt_irl

Forum Captain
best advice is arrive early to every class, open your ears listen, ask lots of question, you will gain more from the course..

as for study there are good online quiz sites that are free and ask general medical and trauma questions for basic level. then make flash cards and write a narritive of whats youd do in the right order and learn them off

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
I downloaded the state's study guides and flashcards. Have been taking the online quizzes with about a 60% on them. Don't think I have anything to worry about really.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
you'll be fine. It really isn't that hard of a class when you really boil it down.

OP
OP

350chevy

Forum Probie
They asked me to go with them today on a ride-along. IFT from the local hosp to Terre Haute. So happy because I will be getting more ride time.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I am leaning more towards national right now. The only thing that threw up a red flag with me was recertifying every 2 years instead of 4 and the traveling I'd have to do to take the classes and the test but I think it'd be worth it in the long run. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. :)

where will you be going to take your tests? I went up to springfield and took mine. Could of went to carbondale also but springfield was closer. Enjoy your trip to terre haute.

Jimbo56

Forum Ride Along
Travis and Chevy.

Starting EMT B at Lincolnland in Springfield beginning in January. Still have many questions but I guess it's time to just jump in with both feet and just do it do it. Chevy, could you post a link for the flash cards and study material?