Star of Life / EMS clothing when off duty... Tacky or just being proud?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently acquired a hoodie with only a star of life on it. I use it quite often during EMS activities, but a couple times I've thrown it on just to go to the grocery store or a movie with friends without thinking much of it. (Its comfy!) Someone I know made a comment that it looked tacky - like I was trying too hard to get respect of the public while on personal time. That wasn't my intention, but it got me thinking...

Is wearing generic (read: no employer logos) EMS clothing while on your own personal time tacky, or is it just another way to express pride in your profession?

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Whens the last time you saw a respectable nurse or doctor or PA wearing "buff" clothing for work?

Its one thing to wear clothing to show pride for your station or something but wearing "EMS saving lives all day err'day" shirts just makes you a loser.:glare:

leoemt

Forum Captain
I recently acquired a hoodie with the words "E.M.S." and a star of life on it. I use it quite often during EMS activities, but a couple times I've thrown it on just to go to the grocery store or a movie with friends without thinking much of it. (Its comfy!) Someone I know made a comment that it looked tacky - like I was trying too hard to get respect of the public while on personal time. That wasn't my intention, but it got me thinking...

Is wearing generic (read: no employer logos) EMS clothing while on your own personal time tacky, or is it just another way to express pride in your profession?

I have never worn anything to identify my profession either when I was a cop or now as an EMT.

In my opinion, if it is realtively small and generic I don't see a problem with it. I really like the Wounded Warrior shirts. However, I HATE the "look at me I'm a hero" crap. The fire service seems hell bent on creating shirts like this. I am sure you have seen the type - "I fight what you fear" "I walk wear the devil fears to tread" etc.

There is nothing wrong with showing pride in your work and wearing the occasional generic shirt shouldn't be an issue. However, if all your shirts are about your profession and you have a case of whackeritis then there is a problem.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Whens the last time you saw a respectable nurse or doctor or PA wearing "buff" clothing for work?

True, but I've run into many a doctor in non-medical settings that make damn sure you know they're "DR. Smith", not "Mr. Smith".

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have never worn anything to identify my profession either when I was a cop or now as an EMT.

In my opinion, if it is realtively small and generic I don't see a problem with it. I really like the Wounded Warrior shirts. However, I HATE the "look at me I'm a hero" crap. The fire service seems hell bent on creating shirts like this. I am sure you have seen the type - "I fight what you fear" "I walk wear the devil fears to tread" etc.

There is nothing wrong with showing pride in your work and wearing the occasional generic shirt shouldn't be an issue. However, if all your shirts are about your profession and you have a case of whackeritis then there is a problem.

Anyone who wears "buff" shirts like the sayings you posted above is almost always a jolly volly EMT or firefighter.

No career professional , especially firefighters in big name departments would ever be caught wearing something like that. They would be the laughing stock of their house.

I don't mean to degrade volunteers, I too am a volunteer, but I don't wear childish clothing like that and many people I know do. These people also "buff" calls with a scanner and I need more than 2 hands to count how many I know. I wear my jackets/sweatshirt that say "ladder company blah blah blah" on them and thats it out of pride for wear I volunteer or work.

True, but I've run into many a doctor in non-medical settings that make damn sure you know they're "DR. Smith", not "Mr. Smith".

They worked 8 years of brain-melting studying and no social life plus a $40,000 a year residency with 1,000,000 in loans to repay.

They deserve to be called doctor and not Mr.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
They worked 8 years of brain-melting studying and no social life plus a $40,000 a year residency with 1,000,000 in loans to repay.

They deserve to be called doctor and not Mr.

I have a university degree as well, but I don't go around demanding people call me "John Doe, BSc."

If asked, absolutely. However in a previous job I would often call for names from a number of people sitting down. A number of times I got the "ACTUALLY its DR. Smith." That clarification didn't have any impact on what we were about to do, and just came off as tacky.

I think I might be starting to answer my own question... :huh:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a university degree as well, but I don't go around demanding people call me "John Doe, BSc."

If asked, absolutely. However in a previous job I would often call for names from a number of people sitting down. A number of times I got the "ACTUALLY its DR. Smith." That clarification didn't have any impact on what we were about to do, and just came off as tacky.

I think I might be starting to answer my own question... :huh:

A degree and a medical degree are vastly different. Ask some of the guys in med school on the forum what they go through.

You can get a bachelors in most subjects by sleeping in half your classes.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Anyone who wears "buff" shirts like the sayings you posted above is almost always a jolly volly EMT or firefighter.

No career professional , especially firefighters in big name departments would ever be caught wearing something like that. They would be the laughing stock of their house.
Its not like professional fire companies would never think to have shirts that depict racist and bigoted imagery

Oh wait...http://fdny-firezone.hostedbyamazon.com/ref=sample_one

Look i think the "racing the reaper" shirts and stuff like that are stupid, but dont act like station shirts and apparel havnt existed in every major city for DECADES. Generic shirts are fine, and APPROPRIATE station shirts are also fine. Our local LEO have black varsity style jackets for the PBA

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No seriously, i just fell of my bed laughing

No professional fire company would have company shirts, patches, hats, aprons, glassware, ect

Oh wait...http://fdny-firezone.hostedbyamazon.com/ref=sample_one

Look i think the "racing the reaper" shirts and stuff like that are stupid, but dont act like station shirts and apparel havnt existed in every major city for DECADES. Generic shirts are fine, and station shirts are also fine. Our local LEO have black varsity style jackets for the PBA

FDNY/NYPD are pretty big names... Of course retail stores sell their stuff its called business. That doesn't mean either agencies employees wear it.

Station shirts and apparel are absolutely acceptable as I said they are to show pride in your house or station.

Shirts like "racing the reaper" are absolutely obnoxious and I don't care for anyone who wears them.

As a side note, that FDNY store you posted puts its profits into the department to buy tools/equipment and whatnot instead of using tax dollars.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have a nice soft shell that's embroidered unobtrusively with "XYZ College Sports Medicine" along with the college logo. I'm guilty of wearing it all the time, it's the perfect jacket for the weather around here. I'm certainly not trying to name drop with it, most kids that I go to class with could care less about what I do, same for the rest of the world.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a nice soft shell that's embroidered unobtrusively with "XYZ College Sports Medicine" along with the college logo. I'm guilty of wearing it all the time, it's the perfect jacket for the weather around here. I'm certainly not trying to name drop with it, most kids that I go to class with could care less about what I do, same for the rest of the world.

Does it say "Sports Medicine, more than a job, a calling!"

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I always wear my "Nurses: saving your *** from the residents" t shirt.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I always wear my "Nurses: saving your *** from the residents" t shirt.

:rofl:

FDNY/NYPD are huge moneymakers when it comes to apparel. And whackers love apparel.

Full disclosure: I'll wear a job shirt with a CT EMT patch like a sweatshirt sometimes.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
:rofl:

FDNY/NYPD are huge moneymakers when it comes to apparel. And whackers love apparel.

Probably millions of dollars a year.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably millions of dollars a year.

No question about it, it's lucrative.

I have yet to see an actual FDNY member (or any uniformed service member – volley or paid – for that matter) wear ridiculous star of life/maltese cross type apparel. Then again, as I said, I'll wear a job shirt once in a while 'cause it's comfy.

JMorin95

Forum Crew Member
No question about it, it's lucrative.

I have yet to see an actual FDNY member (or any uniformed service member – volley or paid – for that matter) wear ridiculous star of life/maltese cross type apparel. Then again, as I said, I'll wear a job shirt once in a while 'cause it's comfy.

They are very comfy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I occasionally will wear my job shirt out to the store... But not cuz I'm a whacker. It's because it's warm and comfy.

And I have a few duty t shirts from other departments. I wear them under my flight suit.