Special snowflake.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
With nearly all kids and youths being told they can do anything and that they are special, are we allowing idiots (to put it kindly) into the profession? It seems we have had an influx of them lately...

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I really hope it's not indicative of the candidates that are starting to filter in. I've considered EMS as one of the last bastions of intelligence that the mouth breathers haven't touched yet.

In the same vein, I highly reccomend Mike Judge's film Idocracy. It's a brilliant movie about the dumbing down of society.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are having some not so good of quality providers coming through our area. Narcotic infractions are being handed out like candy to one of our medics

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I was hired so I know they will hire anybody! In all seriousness though what I've seen is emt schools just passing people and signing off skills. When I get a trainee I expect them to be able to do their skills in a static environment, but so many are unable to obtain a BP in someone's house let alone a moving vehicle.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I really hope it's not indicative of the candidates that are starting to filter in. I've considered EMS as one of the last bastions of intelligence that the mouth breathers haven't touched yet.
Where are you from and are y'all hiring?!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

You're kidding, right? EMS, with its low educational standards and high "I'm a hero" factor, draws in mouth breathers like a moth to a flame.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I've noticed this in some of the new EMT classes that I help teach skills in. It seems people have a sense of entitlement as in "you're the skills instructor therefore you're supposed to sign everything off" when they didn't bother to learn and apply the material. I don't know if its just where I'm at or other places as well, but I have defiantly noticed a influx of idiots lately.

Epic title by the way exodus.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
With nearly all kids and youths being told they can do anything and that they are special, are we allowing idiots (to put it kindly) into the profession? It seems we have had an influx of them lately...
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes!!!!! MMMMMMM YES!

Finally.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Man, this is going to be a good one; so many new folks are full potato...
I'm going to get some pop corn... If I start talking they're gonna shut this puppy down.

EMS should never be somebody's first job either, but that's another thread.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

In the same vein, I highly reccomend Mike Judge's film Idocracy. It's a brilliant movie about the dumbing down of society.
Best satirical comment I've read in a very long time! Wait...you weren't serious were you? You either need to get out more, or don't understand what what you just said. And in a few years Idocracy will be seen as a documentary in this country.

I was hired so I know they will hire anybody! In all seriousness though what I've seen is emt schools just passing people and signing off skills. When I get a trainee I expect them to be able to do their skills in a static environment, but so many are unable to obtain a BP in someone's house let alone a moving vehicle.
If you think not being able to accurately check someone's BP is the issue...well...that in and of itself is part of the problem.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't know. I find myself feeling the same way sometimes, but maybe I'm just forgetting how incompetent I was when I was new.

It's common for each generation to crow about how much softer/dumber/less-motivated/more lazy/more entitled the younger generations are. I think in some cases there is some objective truth to that - for instance, as older children, my great-grandparents went hungry if they didn't help kill or grow their own food, and they didn't have a TV or telephone - contrast that to a teenager today, but quite often I think a lot of it is just those of us who've been doing it a while being frustrated with dealing with younger people who don't have the same experience and maturity as us.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Nevermind.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
You're kidding, right? EMS, with its low educational standards and high "I'm a hero" factor, draws in mouth breathers like a moth to a flame.

You know, I really wanted to vehemently defend my point, but just can't. I'll admit that I'm fairly disconnected from the "field" now and spend most of my shifts surrounded by RNs and PAs. I need to pick up a few BLS shifts and familiarize myself with the outside world again.

I was wracking my brain trying to find a couple scenarios that made my point, but kept coming up with memories of screwball EMT after screwball EMT. From the guy who pulled a blanket out of the warmer, crawled onto the gurney, and went to sleep in front of the nurses station while waiting for staff to figure out transport decisions for the patient. To the nut who was dancing around the ER bay repeatedly screaming "We got a save, bro." After bringing in a PT in full arrest. The list of weird unprofessional moments went on and on. They played like little film strips in my mind eroding my point and making me sad.

I have always sought out intelligent, compassionate patient advocates and by doing so sometimes insulated myself from, and blurred the lines between, what SoCal EMS is and what I'd like it to be.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I've been an EMT for only a year, but this is a second "career" for me. (I'm just a tad bit older than most EMT students. Just a tad!) It's a very interesting perspective. I don't think it's so much that someone is new, though there are cowboys out there, I think it's more that someone is young. The hero, and rock star mentality perhaps. I'm just ruminating, mind you.

I took my education very seriously. I was "that geek". I didn't want to just pass. I actually wanted to learn something and do well. I saw many people in my class that just wanted to get by. There are always going to be "the ones" that want to just get through, get the cert, and get the glory.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I took my education very seriously. I was "that geek". I didn't want to just pass. I actually wanted to learn something and do well. I saw many people in my class that just wanted to get by. There are always going to be "the ones" that want to just get through, get the cert, and get the glory.

Im seeing more and more of this in the EMT classes, it seems people just want to get the cert and call it a day without gaining knowledge. To me it seems a lack of maturity in some of these new students.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
... dealing with younger people who don't have the same experience and maturity as us.

I was just gonna say you're throwing that word around awfully generously... ;)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Although, I agree with you, Remi. 100%.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
It's common for each generation to crow about how much softer/dumber/less-motivated/more lazy/more entitled the younger generations are.
This. FFS, between this and DEmedic's "handouts" thread, it's like the forum went full Fox News Grandpa.