Special Forces medic training

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Check out how Special Forces medics train. You think your street medics are bad enough, these guys are the harvard of EMS.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That was a rather uneventful video with almost zero information provided on their actual job or abilities

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldnt Harvard actually be the Harvard of EMS? They do have their own student run EMS service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
SF Medics are amazing individuals are truly are experts at trauma and resuscitation. A lot of what we know about trauma care comes from the military. However aside from clandestine units where the medics take on more of a primary care role and deal with prolonged field care they are extremely specialized in their training almost to a detriment. I am in no way down playing what they do but to compare them to street medics, or call them "The Harvard of EMS", is ignorant to both sides.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Like Chase said, SF-type medics are simply excellent in trauma care and resus. This is because they're literally the lab that's doing the research in how to optimally provide care to trauma victims. The military has an advantage in that they can try something and if it works, they can disseminate that quickly to other units that can then also provide that new something. If it doesn't work they'll dump it really quickly system-wide. The military medical system allows for a very different and more invasive scope of practice because of the nature of what they do and it's set up to provide rapid trauma care more efficiently than can be easily done in the civilian world.

You also have to remember that even though more of the medics are becoming paramedic trained, they don't get much exposure or experience dealing with more complex medical patients. Most of what they'll get is young, fit people that are generally quite healthy. Street medics have the opposite experience. They're really good at figuring out medical stuff in patients that aren't all that straightforward. Getting them to do trauma care in the battlefield environment isn't going to go as smoothly, but it'll get done.

I'm a paramedic and an ER nurse. I'm not too shabby at doing my job. While I can do trauma stuff, I'm nowhere near as good at it as the SF guys.