Speaking of Leads...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I have the damndest time knowing where to place them.

I got thr RA= RIght arm, LL= left leg, etc...part But I never really know where on the arm leg to put it.

And on the 12 lead I always screw it up..How do you guys remember where they go. I just haven't done them enough to "just know" where they go.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
In MA EKG's are ACLS, so we don't cover it in BLS. Is it different in FL?

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
No it's ACLS, but we put the stickies on for the medic.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I just make a big smiley face with the leads. It's just prettier that way :)

Actually this is something I should learn. ALS does 12 leads in the field, and I'm sure it would be helpful if I could help set it up while they do other ALS stuff.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MMiz said:
I just make a big smiley face with the leads. It's just prettier that way :)

Actually this is something I should learn. ALS does 12 leads in the field, and I'm sure it would be helpful if I could help set it up while they do other ALS stuff.

ROFL!

Ok so one of you medics get on here and tell us what to do.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
V1: Fourth intercostal space to the right of the sternum.
V2: Fourth intercostal space to the Left of the sternum.
V3: Directly between leads V2 and V4.
V4: Fifth intercostal space at midclavicular line.
V5: Level with V4 at left anterior axillary line.
V6: Level with V5 at left midaxillary line.
(Directly under the midpoint of the armpit)

Attachments

• ELECTRODEPLa.jpg
    ELECTRODEPLa.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 358

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The Limb leads should either be placed on the chest area, Right upper/lower, left upper/lower

Ballpark - Upper will be just below and medial from the shoulder blades, and lower's will be at or below the umbillicus approx. below the upper leads.

Or, they go on the arms and legs... I was always taught "upper" arms, but I've been taught high and low on the legs.

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
It really doesn't matter all that much, but if the medic is not planning to do a 12 lead, they can go on the core of the body, up on the upper chest and down on the belly. Or if they are going to do a 12lead, they go on the inside of the wrist area and the inside of the ankles. Try to keep them away from the ankle bone and the bones in the wrist, it just makes the readings harder to get. If you are getting a lot of artifact with the leads on the limbs, you can move them farther up the arms.

It is usually the medics preferance, so just ask them where they prefer them, a lot of it depends on where they were taught to put them.