South Carolina Reciprocity

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
I live in FL and I just graduated EMT school. Im still in the process of getting my FL license, but Im also trying to get a SC license for college.. Thats where my problem is..

For the reciprocity guidelines it says this:

Include with that application, documentation of training in Endotracheal Intubation (ET) and IV Maintenance (Cannot provide documentation? - See page 06). Any one of the following types of documentation is acceptable.

A) A letter from the training institution, on letterhead, and signed by the program director which includes the following information:
1) The name of the candidate who took the training
2) Date(s) of the training
3) Name of the certified instructor who conducted the training
4) The type of training (Must specifically say “Endotracheal Intubation” and/or “IV Maintenance”)

B) A copy of the course syllabus or outline. (Must specifically use the words “Endotracheal Intubation” and/or “IV Maintenance”)

So as an EMT-B do I need ET and IV maintenance? My course syllabus has IV, but not the ET.

I sent in my application to see what they'd say, but does anyone have any experience with this?

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
I live in SC, but will be starting EMT-B school in NC in January, so I have a little exposure to this subject.

Through the end of the year, you would need to have passed the IV Airway module, to get SC Certified. As of 1 Jan 09 (according to DHEC), EMT-B's and EMT-I's will no longer be allowed the airway portion in their scope of practice.

So timing will play a part.
If you want PM me your email address, and I will send the email address of the guy I spoke with at DHEC. He will be able to give you the definitive answer for your situation.

reaper

Working Bum
It has already taken affect. EMT-B's no longer do intubation or IV's. EMT-I's still are allowed both and will continue to be able to.

Once you have your NREMT-B, send a copy of it, your BLS card, and sometimes a letter from your school, to prove the training was up to par.

If it is after Dec. 15th, you will have to obtain an FBI background check.

The best thing is to call the state office and they will walk you through the process. It is not that hard to do in SC.

OP
OP
A

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
It has already taken affect. EMT-B's no longer do intubation or IV's. EMT-I's still are allowed both and will continue to be able to.

Once you have your NREMT-B, send a copy of it, your BLS card, and sometimes a letter from your school, to prove the training was up to par.

If it is after Dec. 15th, you will have to obtain an FBI background check.

The best thing is to call the state office and they will walk you through the process. It is not that hard to do in SC.

Awesome. I already sent all that in, so we'll see what happens!

reaper

Working Bum
Hope they issue it soon, or you will need to come here to have a background check done!

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Does this mean that only Ohio has Basics left intubating? I know that SC right now is the only state OH grants recep. to because no one else teaches intubation to Basics!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Does this mean that only Ohio has Basics left intubating? I know that SC right now is the only state OH grants recep. to because no one else teaches intubation to Basics!

You can get an additional skill cert in WA for airway. But EMT-Bs can do combi-tube.

OP
OP
A

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
Ive got the word!.. for anyone else that might come into this problem..

As of Jan 1, 2009, the ET and IV will be taken out. So itll just be NREMT reciprocity then. Right now you have to take the ET and IV modules to gain reciprocity.

Im waiting till 2009! haha

reaper

Working Bum
I would have asked again. Our service has already received the letter, informing us that EMT-B's could no longer do IV or Intubate( Even though ours never did). But hell, 2009 ain't to far away.