South African EMS (how things work here)

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
Hi Guys I have decided to start a thread that explains a little bit more on how our EMS services operate in South Africa.
As I'm only a 17yo Volunteer there ought to be some mistakes in my post but I will try to keep the information as accurately as possible.

First of all, the EMS services can be divided into two main groups namely the Private services and Goverment services.
Different people have different opinions on both sectors, personally I will choose the goverment service in our area, Western Cape Metro EMS. They run Basic Life Support, Intermediate Life Support and Advanced Life Support ambulances and also has a highly sophisticated rescue division. Metro mainly focuses on people without medical aid but do also transport people with medical aid. On a average shift in my town each ambulance will run approximately 8-11 calls per shift (12 hour shifts, 7am to 7pm) with almost one being a guaranteed stabbing/assault.

The two main private companies is ER24 and Netcare 911.
They focus on people who has medical aid but also transport patients without medical aid in certain circumstances like motor vehicle accidents. Both services also has Helicopters. Netcare 911 also have a airplane.

In South Africa the gap between the rich and the poor is big. Allot of people in the lower class lives in Informal settlements in houses known as shacks.
The goverment EMS's calls mostly originates from the lower class settlements and allot of the times includes stabbings and assaults.

Due to the shacks situated so close to each other allot of them burn down at once when a fire breaks out in the settlement, 100-200 shacks at once is normal in places like Cape Flats and more dense situated settlements.

The hospitals is also divided into private and goverment hospitals.
Our local goverment hospital has a very good trauma unit and even patients with medical aid tends to end up here.

EMS qualifications consists of the following:
BAA-Basic Ambulance Assistant ( More or less equal to US EMT-B)
AEA-Ambulance Emergency Assistant ( More or less equal to US EMT-I)
CCA- Critical Care Assistant, this qualification is recognized as a Advanced Life Support qualification.

The above mentioned courses is all classified under "short courses". There have been mentioned that they will not longer continue in the near future and will be replaced by the longer university degrees.

The current university degrees consists off the following:
ECT- Emergency care technician (not sure how long it is)
National Diploma in Emergency Medical Care (3 year full time degree)
Bachelors of Technology in Emergency Medical Care (1 year, done after completing the 3 year NDIP degree)
The NDIP and BTECH is currently being replaced by the Bachelors degree in Emergency Medical Care which is a 4 year full time degree that specializes in pre hospital care and all twelve rescue modules.
After completing the four year degree one can also do your masters and doctorate degree.

Later on I will add more information and pictures.
I hope you guys found this thread interesting, I will gladly answer any questions that you guys post to this thread.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the write up and pictures! Was an interesting read. I'm curious how the pay scales compare.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice write up. I watch the documentary "tell me and I will forget". Passed it on to coworkers so they could see how easy they have it.

wadford

Forum Crew Member
I'd be interested in the scopes of practice for each level as well as how the rural systems work.

Novice001

Forum Ride Along
A comrade in arms - SA EMS

I'm pleased to see there is another SA on this site. I'd like to correct you on one or two things. CPUT will no longer be offering the N.Diploma from next year. The N.Certificate will replace it to qualify as an ECT. The course is two years full time. You are spot on with the B-Tech to qualify as a paramedic.

Also, there is talk of abolishing the short ambulance courses from next year, but nothing has been set in stone. Apparently this has been going on since 2008. I'll be very surprised if they do follow through with it.

Do you volunteer with Metro EMS? I was told I first need to get my EB license, before I can volunteer with them. You've probably seen that I'm a BLS, so if you have any questions, ask away. This site is amazing. I read through the posts and just by reading someone's answer to a question I've learnt a few things already.

You're almost finished with school I see. I'd like to make a suggestion if I may? If you are going to follow a career in the EMS, go do your B-Tech. You're young and your life is only just beginning. If I could turn the clock back I would have gone to study the B-Tech. Unfortunately, I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm approaching middle adulthood, but my goal is to do the N.Certificate in 2016.

I'm very impressed with your presentation. Well done!

OP
OP
S

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
So what is the difference in patient care between a basic truck and intermediate truck?

HI Bburnette, where I live there is usually one AEA and one BAA on a ambo so patient care depends on the extend of the injuries, I will look for a link which elaborates on each levels scope of practice.
A lot of the times in smaller areas on night shifts the paramedics is on standby at home with a response car and respond when they are needed at a scene. I have a 2008 ALS pdf document on my pc with the scope of practice but I dont have a clue on how to post it here.

OP
OP
S

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
Dynamic Emergency Medical Services rapid response car, sorry for George the skeleton in the pic. Probably one of the few patients they couldnt save:rofl:

OP
OP
S

shelvpower

Forum Crew Member
http://www.saesi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=562&Itemid=351

More info on all the different courses

The rescue modules in the btech/BEMC degree includes the following

Fire, Search and Rescue.High Angle and Rope Rescue.Vehicle Extrication.Industrial and agricultural rescue.Wilderness Search and Rescue.Aviation Rescue.Aquatic Rescue (Swift Water Rescue, Surface Rescue and Small Boat Handling).Confined Space Rescue.Trench Rescue.Structural Collapse Rescue.Hazardous Materials Rescue.