Songs that take you back (and where)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Had a long discussion in AMLS class the other day about glutamate and long-term memory formation. One of the things mentioned was sounds and how they can cause to instantly recall things.

"Complicated" came on the radio this morning and I was instantly transported back to summer semester in paramedic school and a tumultuous but fondly remembered relationship.

What songs take you back to a different place?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
When I hear "Boulevard" from Jackson Browne or “Hot Rod Hearts” from Robbie Dupree, I’m taken right back to the summer of 1980, when I spent my vacation on Long Beach Island in New Jersey. It was a glorious summer of Cheese steaks, watersides, mini golf and the beach. Those songs take me right there.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The thumping of mastadon hide drums, my first EMS job...

OK, "Pomp and Circumstance",(aka "the graduation song"); as a member of the school orchestra, having to learn it, then play out over and over and over twice a year for three years, I can even smell the old auditorium at my junior high school.

http://www.miss-music.com/music/pomp_loop.wav

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Lame, but "All Star" by Smash Mouth always sucks me back to 6th grade summer and my first-ever 3rd ride.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
"Complicated" came on the radio this morning and I was instantly transported back to summer semester in paramedic school and a tumultuous but fondly remembered relationship.

What songs take you back to a different place?

Wait a second. "Complicated" as in the song by Avril Lavigne?

OP
OP
U

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Wait a second. "Complicated" as in the song by Avril Lavigne?

Yep, call me names, but it fit the situation I was in at the time perfectly lol.

(usalsfyre is in touch with his feminie side)

Aidey

I want to make fun of you, but I can't since I knew what song you were talking about. :glare:

OP
OP
U

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I want to make fun of you, but I can't since I knew what song you were talking about. :glare:

I've decided in my "old age" guilty pleasures are ok as long as they're limited :D.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Little moments by brad paisley. Summer of 2009. First true love.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"redneck yaht club" by Craig Morgan. Takes me back to all the family vacations to the Colorado river.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can.

Holy crap Avril Lavigne? Really?

Do you need to borrow my black eyeliner?

Aidey

I can.

Holy crap Avril Lavigne? Really?

Do you need to borrow my black eyeliner?

HAHAHAHA!!!! Sasha I just literally busted out laughing! Priceless!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
"Cum on Feel the Noise" by Quiet Riot - State Latin Convention in 1983 and the associated Toga parties.

Mad Max

Forum Probie
Ok, so it might have only been about two months ago, but whenever I hear "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees, I remember my first ride along. Bouncin' down the road with lights and sirens with that cranked up on the radio, it was the moment that everything fell into place and let me know that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Lame, but "All Star" by Smash Mouth always sucks me back to 6th grade summer and my first-ever 3rd ride.

Reminds me of my senior football season, Fivestar notebooks, and scientific calculators.

Anthrax's "We've Come For You All" Album, takes me back to a myriad of thoughts. Some songs remind me of a certain place from 2003-2006, the woman that broke my heart, how my small town has changed, and cruising the 126 in a Silverado.

SSwain

Forum Captain
I have an awesome memory...just about any song I can place with approximate time it was popular, what I was doing at the time...and in some cases who I was dating.

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel reminds me of my High School sweetheart Cassandra

Hard to handle-- Black Crows Reminds me of Liz

Jane Says---Jane's Addiction was the song on the radio on my first call during my clinicals

Just like a certain smell will take somebody back in time, a song will do the same for me.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BeeGee's "Stayin' Alive": CPR classes.

Fontella Bass "Rescue Me": all the good times before I started to grow up (1980 or so...)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Keith Urban's "Sweet Thing"...summer of 2009, my first (and only) true love. How oddly alike Anjel and I are :p