Someone, please explain this to me...

Epi-do

I see dead people
We carry lock-out kits on our ambulance. However, we are only allowed to use them if there is someone inside the vehicle incapable of unlocking the door - an infant, handicapped person, etc.

Yesterday we get dispatched for a person locked in a vehicle. We show up, and there is a baby sleeping in it's carseat and mom is outside the vehicle, upset because she locked the baby in the car. The car was at the drive-up ATM.

My question is this - What would you be doing at the drive-up ATM that you would need to get completely out of the car and shut the door? (I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she locked the door by accident.)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
some people arent good at pulling up close enough to it. so in order to reach they have to get out of the car. or maybe her window doesnt work making her get out of the car. other then that i have no idea.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Depending on the make/model of the vehicle and the design of the ATM can make it annoying enough to use while in a vehicle to just get out and use it as a walk up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
i see it alot with lifted trucks. people will get out at a fastfood drive thru because their window is too high.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Or maybe she just wasn't real clear on the whole "drive up atm" concept lol Why didn't you just ask her? Politely of course. I know here in Texas you see a lot of soccer moms who drive huge SUVs that can't get close to the window/atm so they end up having to open the door.

Ghando14

Forum Probie
My brother can't seem to pull up along the machines without hitting the post or the curb, so he always pulls close and opens the door, but never enough to where he is outside of the car and needs to close it. I agree, it's strange that it would be an issue.

Ghando14

Forum Probie
What kind of vehicle was it anyways? Because if it was a lifted truck or Hummer or something, that would be more understandable. Unlike a motorcycle...

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Maybe she dropped her card...

Ghando14

Forum Probie
Maybe she dropped her card...

I don't see that causing her to get out of the vehicle and shutting the door. I would expect her to just open the door and reach down and pick it up.

Though it could have landed under the vehicle, but I wouldn't think she'd close the door, also, if she dropped her card, I would think it meant her window was down so she could reach through to the ATM. Not trying to bust you down or anything, I'm just very interested in this situation as well. Sorry.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
You are arguing against a purely speculative post, in a speculative thread.

For the record.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
She was in a typical four door car. It appeared as if she should have been able to reach to buttons for the ATM with her window rolled down. Whether or not the window would roll down - I don't really know.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What, and get her sleeve dirty on the car window edge?

Make sure they own the car before opening it....:ph34r: