some questions about the job

hdth121

Forum Ride Along
How much does an EMT-B make? I have googled this but iv seemed to be getting alot of different answers from alot of sources. The Bureau of labor statistics combines EMT-B with Paramedics to get a median of 32.6k. Iv seen anywhere from 20k-40k for an EMT-B according to google. I am in the military about to get out in 7 months and plan on getting my EMT-B training while in then il be moving up to Washington to find a job so any help regarding how hard is it to get an EMT job and how much should I be expecting to make will help me tremendously in planning this. Another question, il most likely be going to school in the near future for something in the medical field(im thinking either a nurse or physicians assistant) will i be able to go to school and be an emt part time all at the same time iv heard many emts are able to study between calls. Any information you all have on this will be greatly appreciated.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How much does an EMT-B make? I have googled this but iv seemed to be getting alot of different answers from alot of sources. The Bureau of labor statistics combines EMT-B with Paramedics to get a median of 32.6k. Iv seen anywhere from 20k-40k for an EMT-B according to google. I am in the military about to get out in 7 months and plan on getting my EMT-B training while in then il be moving up to Washington to find a job so any help regarding how hard is it to get an EMT job and how much should I be expecting to make will help me tremendously in planning this. Another question, il most likely be going to school in the near future for something in the medical field(im thinking either a nurse or physicians assistant) will i be able to go to school and be an emt part time all at the same time iv heard many emts are able to study between calls. Any information you all have on this will be greatly appreciated.
Starting at minimum wage going up.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
The places I have worked are about $11-12 starting.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you're planning on working in Washington, get your EMT-B training there. Current supply and demand will determine how easy or hard it is to get a job. Most EMS privates in the Seattle area hire pretty often. The pay will vary also. I wouldn't expect more than 15/hour anywhere. Also,,depending on where you work will depend on how much study downtime you'll have. If you work a 24 for triMed you may have some downtime at a station to study. If you work for AMR in Seattle, you'll be busy all shift.

Last edited:

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Every possible answer to your question is possible. You might get minimum wage, you might get more. You might have to fight for an IFT job, you might get a primary 911 gig right out of the gate. You might have a 24hr no hitter, you might have a stand up 24.

There are almost no absolutes in this business that are able to be applied generally. Specific agencies, areas etc will have different qualities, even if they're in the same area.

OP
OP
H

hdth121

Forum Ride Along
alot of this seems misleading from all the websites that im viewing, from what it sounds like i will be barely making a living if i pursue this. However alot of the sites i see and iv researched say the median range for an EMT is about 30-35k(while most emts report having less than 2 years experience according to salary.com) i know il be starting off lower than that just getting into it. My question i guess is is there alot of pay raises that come with the job when i gain more experience? references, salary.com, glassdoor.com,

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It varies from company to company. Some places pay well, others dont. Then you have to figure in cost of living vs your income, Current debts etc. All that figures in to how comfortably you will live.

OP
OP
H

hdth121

Forum Ride Along
uhg, well thanks for the answers never had to live on my own before went from moms house to college 1st year(paid for) then to 4 years in the military. Always been good with money i dont have any debt as of right now and i have a car and saved up quite a bit of money from the military. I want an EMT job so i can better scope if pursuing something in the medical field is something I want to do.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
If you have the GI Bill, nursing school would be a good option. Better perks of the job and you can still be prehospital.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Generally, one can survive on an EMT's pay at a private ambulance service. You wont get rich, you probably wont even be moderately comfortable. You'll get a paycheck and there might even be some of it left by the time you cash the next one.

The kicker is, in most places, there is a career progression. You don't get the "sexy" jobs your first day. Typically, you start off as an EMT at a private doing IFT. The pay is low(meager, dismal, insufficient). Then you might upgrade within the company to their 911 division, you might move along to another private or municipal to do 911, then medic school and so on; but it all starts with that first crappy job.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I'm 11 and change at a private in the Midwest. My IFT does 24s and pays time and half after 40 hours. If I work my actual 24/48 its at least 16 of OT every 2 weeks. 11-12 seems to be the going for an IFT in my region.

phideux

Forum Captain
If you haven't put in your 20 in the military and are getting out to be an EMT, stay in. I can't tell you the benefit of going for the full ride in the military to you later in life.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Re-up, get your EMT and medic at a local college while you're in, bail to 911 primary FTW.