Some practical skills questions?

yurkler

Forum Ride Along
For medical, I'm not sure what interventions to give for each of the different mechanisms of injury:

Respiratory- assist with inhaler
Cardiac- Nitro
Altered Mental Status- ?
Allergic Reaction- EPI pen
Poisoning/Overdose- activated charcoal
Environmental Emergency- ?

For trauma: When exactly do I apply a C-collar? Right before log-rolling in rapid assessment, or after I log-roll the patient back on a backboard? Also, when do I transport? Right after the rapid assessment (strapping on backboard)?

During the rapid assessment, do I just briefly "pat down" the patient for DCAPBTLS, and checking PMS in each extremity?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
This should all be stuff you learn in your class, which I'm assuming is EMT B?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
For medical internvetions-- One of my biggest pet peaves was abdominal pain scenarios because I always felt like I was missing something. If there is nothing you can do to treat it, don't treat it.

But in real life, don't just assume you have to give a medication because they meet some of the criteria.

As for c-collar... CABC. Cspine, Airway, Breathing, Circulation. You can have someone hold cpsine while you do the rest, but the collar should be on before you put on the backboard.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
if this is for nation test, when i took it recently we didnt have to actually treat anything. we just had to say "at this point i would contact medical direction and/or use standing orders.
and for the c-collar its right after ABC's. as soon as you come up hold c-spine then delegate it off. then after your ABC's once you start doing your rapid trama assessment put the c-collar on after you finish the assessment of the neck.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For medical, I'm not sure what interventions to give for each of the different mechanisms of injury:
in this case, we're actually interested in nature of illness, but that's a tangent

Respiratory- assist with inhaler
not all that's respiratory get's an inhaler... or even the same medication. Bronchospasm/wheezing in an asthmatic get's albuterol, but the circumstances are up to state protocol.

Cardiac- Nitro
same here. Absolutely not all cardio gets nitroglycerin. You need to actually assess the patient. Chest Pain gets ASA (given contraindications),
Nitro (given contraindications, which you should know!), O2, ALS intercept, etc, of course, based on state protocol.

Altered Mental Status- ?
If it's confirmed hypoglycemia, and within state protocol, yes, but otherwise no.

Allergic Reaction- EPI pen
If true anaphylaxis, and affecting 2 organ systems (resp + skin, resp + GI), and within state protocols, yes.

Poisoning/Overdose- activated charcoal
CALL POISON/MEDICAL CONTROL!

Environmental Emergency- ?

For trauma: When exactly do I apply a C-collar? Right before log-rolling in rapid assessment, or after I log-roll the patient back on a backboard? Also, when do I transport? Right after the rapid assessment (strapping on backboard)?

During the rapid assessment, do I just briefly "pat down" the patient for DCAPBTLS, and checking PMS in each extremity?

Please review your EMT class material, state/regional protocol, drug indications/contraindications and common sense before your test.

OP
OP
Y

yurkler

Forum Ride Along
In my EMT-B course, I was not exposed to several practical skills?

thx

Last edited by a moderator: