Sodium Nitroprusside for cardiac arrest

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Alright, so there's an active thread about Epi and Vasopressin up right now, but I'm curious about a completely different theory behind the pharm we use in cardiac arrests. I recall seeing some studies about Sodium Nitroprusside that were performed, indicating that a in the presence of good perfusion via mechanical CPR (effectively negating the need for the vasoconstrictive boost of epi) that SNP was producing markedly better survival rates (including neurologically) when used in animals.

Here's the link for the JEMS article: http://www.jems.com/article/patient-care/study-measures-sodium-nitroprusside-cpr

The study indicated that they were using and ACD CPR device, an ITD (ResQPOD) and abdominal binding (that's something I'm not familiar with) and then adding the SNP.

So is there anyone out there with new or different information? Does anyone use ITDs, mechanical CPR or anything along the lines of "abdominal binding" (MAST pants)?.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I posted about this a year or two ago. SNPeCPR, is what they called it. Interesting stuff. But haven't heard or seen anything about it since that original porcine study.