Social Media Login Information

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So I saw this position on Indeed today, and while reading through the requirements, I noticed that they demand social-media login information as a part of the application packet.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0688c11dfc7493db (Atascosita VFD, Harris County ESD #46)

Sure, I understand that we need to ensure that we, our organizations and our reputations are professional and are represented appropriately, but I think that this is too far. First, for most Millennials, our social media presence is an extension of our identity, and allows us to keep in contact with family and friends from all walks of life. I don't think I want to explain to an employer how memes from my infantry buddies were intended to be perceived (that's also why I keep my profile private). A cursory public-mode drive-by looking is one thing, but login information and user access is another.

Second, and just as ominous, if a department is this rigorous in its hiring, what are they like to work for? Are they going to be intrusive into private affairs?

Third, what about political leanings that may run counter to the department's preferences? For example, if I personally endorse and support Candidate X, but the director is a supporter of Candidate Y, is it "defaming the organization" to privately support them on your social media?

I will not be applying here, but I would like your thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    225.3 KB · Views: 152

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've heard of many fire departments and police departments in SoCal that do this.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is their prerogative to ask, it's mine to never apply to such a place. If you want to make assumptions on my character based on my facebook page, I don't think I want to work for you. I am entirely sure what places hope to glean from such "investigations," ditto with polygraphs, the latter of which is inadmissible for employment in Massachusetts, as it should be.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"I do not have any form of social media"...

Everyone does....provide us the info.

"Prove I do...I do not have any form of social media."

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
"I do not have any form of social media"...

Everyone does....provide us the info.

"Prove I do...I do not have any form of social media."
I was wondering... because I legitimately don't. EMTlife, and text message is the extent of social media. What would you/they do as a business if I said I don't have it.. think i'm lying and throw me to the bottom of the stack?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Do you really want to work for an agency that feels they have the right to invade your privacy on that level?

If so, turn privacy to max on any accounts.

Provide them an unused account (create if necessary). They could have my myspace account info (after I recover my password).

Might want to check their policies to see if they have a right to demand this access throughout your term of employment.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This is one of those things that really would make me expect to be paid more...
I wouldn't be willing to work for such an agency

I will say, I've yet to hear of a private sector employer asking for this type of info, but then again, I am often surprised by these sort of things.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Many fire departments require it as part of your background check. At least the ones in the DC metro area where I was looking. with the amount of stupid stuff people put on social media, it's not a bad idea, at least from the employers perspective....

That being said, it's a huge invasion of privacy, and I would be damned if I give you any of my usernames and passwords. I did turn down a job when I saw they required it.

disclaimer: I don't have a personal social media account. just one to maintain my FD's company page. I (honestly) don't understand the appeal of twitter, and only have it because our 911 center dispatches all of theirs Fire & EMS calls to a twitter feed (and I get nosey when I hear sirens outside my window).

You might be able to create a new empty account, but if they find your real account (because pictures rarely lie, and google images does scan facebook), will that be grounds for termination or for them to rescind the job offer?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I will say, I've yet to hear of a private sector employer asking for this type of info, but then again, I am often surprised by these sort of things.
Even for state/municipal jobs, they just ask if you have social media. Then move on. It's legitimately a checkbox numbered 20 something, out of 40 questions.*

*- within New York State

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Even for state/municipal jobs, they just ask if you have social media. Then move on. It's legitimately a checkbox numbered 20 something, out of 40 questions.*

*- within New York State

I feel like that ought to be enough...would have caught this putz.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I met with my background investigator for LAFD last year, they made me log into my Facebook account on their computer, they spent a min or 2 looking it over before they let me log out.

I'm sure it would technically be illegal, but the paranoid part of me wouldn't be surprised if they had a keylogger software running...but I also think I remember changing my password after lol

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
LAFD or a fire department gig are some of the only potential exceptions I would make, and that's only because of the money and career protections.

I'm totally OK with an employer looking from the outside in, but I don't like inside-out

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
Many private sector companies are now asking for access to social media accounts as a condition of employment. They are not asking for your User ID/PW, but just access to the information. Many also routinely search and review Facebook, etc., as part of their pre-employment screening. If your account is Private, they ask you to open it to them to review. It is up to you to decide if the job is worth it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Many fire departments require it as part of your background check. At least the ones in the DC metro area where I was looking. with the amount of stupid stuff people put on social media, it's not a bad idea, at least from the employers perspective....
What constitutes "stupid stuff" though? If you got access to my account and scrolled back five years, you'd likely find pictures of me in various states of intoxication from when I was in college. The picture itself certainly makes me look dumb (to some people I guess), but does it say anything about me now? I hope not.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What constitutes "stupid stuff" though? If you got access to my account and scrolled back five years, you'd likely find pictures of me in various states of intoxication from when I was in college. The picture itself certainly makes me look dumb (to some people I guess), but does it say anything about me now? I hope not.
Making the assumption that you were of legal age in every picture you were intoxicated during your college careers.... some employers (who don't know you) will think you are still a hard partying drunk based on the pictures you have.

As for others who have been fired because of social media:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ure-holding-glass-wine-mug-beer-Facebook.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/1...ader-fired-after-facebook-swastika-photo.html

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11...red_for_Facebook_postings/UPI-50081226548352/

https://www.cnet.com/news/too-much-facebook-gets-nun-banished-from-order/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/n...topless-lesbian-selfie-on-her-instagram-page/

http://www.laboremploymentreport.com/2014/10/10/employees-claims-undermined-by-her-facebook-posts/

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am well aware of how it could be perceived, but that is regrettable at best and shows that the employer is unable or unwilling to make an accurate assessment of a potential candidate during the pre-hire process.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I rarely post anything anyway, so I have nothing to hide. That being said, I wouldn't give them info. You can look from the outside in, my account information is not required to do so.