Should I take FF courses?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm looking to volunteer with a local fire department in order to get some more experience. They offer all kinds of free training if you put in enough hours, and I certainly intend to do that. FF training is among my options. So, for those of you who've worked in joint departments, what do you think? What kind of experiences have you had?

For some more background, it's a rural service with low call volume, and gets way more EMS than fire calls. I haven't noticed any pecking order problems with this district, although I could always just be oblivious. I intend to take as much EMS training as I can get, but I don't think the fire courses will conflict.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I'd say if you're actually interested in the fire courses, go for it.

If not, check and see if the department has EMS only members. A few of our outlying townships do this, it's sort of nice knowing you're headed out to a scene where there's at least 1 Basic on scene already.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
A few of our outlying townships do this, it's sort of nice knowing you're headed out to a scene where there's at least 1 Basic on scene already.

Isn't it a requirement that all volunteer FFs in Indiana be at least EMT certified (unless they had been volunteers since before a certain date)? I seem to recall that it was a standard back when I was still running.

I'd say if you're actually interested in the fire courses, go for it.

Exactly.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Isn't it a requirement that all volunteer FFs in Indiana be at least EMT certified (unless they had been volunteers since before a certain date)? I seem to recall that it was a standard back when I was still running.

Ha! The departments themselves might be required to be certified for BLS Non-transport, which would require that a least a few of the members be basics, but not all members are, that's for sure.

That could have been a local rule though, which I'd readily support.

The scary part about that is last time I checked C-collar use and backboarding isn't included in Indiana's first responder curriculum, even though the VFDs regularly perform this prior to our arrival.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha! The departments themselves might be required to be certified for BLS Non-transport, which would require that a least a few of the members be basics, but not all members are, that's for sure.

That could have been a local rule though, which I'd readily support.

The scary part about that is last time I checked C-collar use and backboarding isn't included in Indiana's first responder curriculum, even though the VFDs regularly perform this prior to our arrival.
Ah, I could have sworn it was a state regulation. It may have been the result of our area just having a really demanding (read as: great) medical director who didn't tolerate any crap.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Ah, I could have sworn it was a state regulation. It may have been the result of our area just having a really demanding (read as: great) medical director who didn't tolerate any crap.

I might be wrong, but I'm 99% percent sure most departments run a combination of first responders and EMTs. The state might require all volunteers to be first responder certified though. Not sure.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm looking to volunteer with a local fire department in order to get some more experience. They offer all kinds of free training if you put in enough hours, and I certainly intend to do that. FF training is among my options. So, for those of you who've worked in joint departments, what do you think? What kind of experiences have you had?

For some more background, it's a rural service with low call volume, and gets way more EMS than fire calls. I haven't noticed any pecking order problems with this district, although I could always just be oblivious. I intend to take as much EMS training as I can get, but I don't think the fire courses will conflict.

If you have the time, then take whatever training they'll give you. If you're interested in going career as a FF someday, many large depts will give you FF 1 and 2 at their academy. If you want to go career for either single role medic or firemedic, see if the vollie dept will put you through medic school.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Even if your not going to be primarily a firefighter, cross training will serve you well as an EMS provider.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
A great class for people in EMS is basic vehicle rescue, if your states offers it. It is good because you may be placed inside the vehicle with the patient and it is nice to be aware of things that the fire service will be doing and how.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Agree with pudge... only way I'd want to join an FD would be strictly as a Vehicle Rescue Tech.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
I just thought of another FF class that may not be a bad idea to have is water rescue at least the awareness level. That is if you have any waterways in your area.

JGUSresponder

Forum Ride Along

Exactly.

Not the case. I'm on a volunteer dept as an EMS only member. We also have FF only and FF/EMS members. Some EMS members are FR, EMT, and EMT-P

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Not the case. I'm on a volunteer dept as an EMS only member. We also have FF only and FF/EMS members. Some EMS members are FR, EMT, and EMT-P

Ah, I knew you could (at some departments) at least be EMS only, but all of the departments I had dealt to any substantial extent with all had a requirement you had to do both (due to a manpower shortage) and you had to be at least a Basic EMT within a year or so. Several people had told me it was a state requirement and I did not care enough because of the local superseding regulations to bother to investigate further.

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
I actually took my firefighter course before my EMT course, but that was just a matter of the order in which the fire department I was volunteering for did the courses that year.

Personally, I would rather be able to do both.. it gives me a lot more job options. But then, I am looking to make this a career. Volunteering is just a means of getting experience for me... it is an incredibly valuable contribution to society but this is how I wanna make my living, and I don't particularly care to work for a private ambulance company.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks, everyone!

Well, I got accepted, but it turns out the schedule doesn't line up for this year's course. But I think I will, if the timing's right in the future. It seems interesting enough, and I'd like to have some flexibility. Fortunately, the department does indeed take EMS-only members. They're also phasing in a requirement for all firefighters to be first responders.

I do want water rescue and vehicle extraction, but both are part of the FF course. I like water rescue in particular--I've been a lifeguard at various points, and I've picked up some swiftwater techniques along the way as a kayaker. But I'm pretty sure the certs I have are all lapsed, and most of it was taught informally anyways.

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
Another one you should try for is rope rescue.. at the very least technician, but even better if you can get operations.

Personally, I'm even going as far as training my dog to do search and rescue.

Additional certifications *never* hurt.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In answer to your question, "NO, never, no way Hosay*.

(See my CV..I was the first full-time assigned certified EMT at Offutt AFB crash rescue (FD) in the late Seventies. My tongue's in my cheek;)).

You know those hairy, chaw-spittin', brass-polishin', fast-drivin', hose-squirtin' plughuggers will just ruin you as an EMT.

Actually, most FD's with EMS make the majority of their calls for EMS, not fires. An EMT who wants to fight fires would be a different sort of possum for them! Learn it, you might never do either as a living but the experience is rare and priviliged and you nevertheless may find yourself a new career.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
Another one you should try for is rope rescue.. at the very least technician, but even better if you can get operations.

Personally, I'm even going as far as training my dog to do search and rescue.

Additional certifications *never* hurt.

I think operations comes before technician. That is how it goes for vehicle rescue, water rescue, and hazardous materials, so I would figure that is how it goes with ropes.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
chaw-spittin'

Thank god that got banned before I joined...

Actually, most FD's with EMS make the majority of their calls for EMS, not fires. An EMT who wants to fight fires would be a different sort of possum for them! Learn it, you might never do either as a living but the experience is rare and priviliged and you nevertheless may find yourself a new career.

Luckily, I don't seem to be too rare. Two other new EMTs are trying for fire courses as well.

And if I get the chance, I'll definitely go for rope rescue. I've gotten to play with them before for whitewater stuff, and they're a lot of fun... :)