Should I renew NREMT if planning on Paramedic?

BayEMTmaybeP

Forum Crew Member
Question, I just renewed my CA State EMT last month, and plan (hopefully) to attend medic school next year.

My NREMT expires at the end of this week. Should I renew it, even if I hope to get my P-card within the next 2 years?

Thanks

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Plan on moving in 2 years? What happens if you fail paramedic school and want to move?
Do you have the current CE to renew?

Why not? It's cheap and situations change.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
NR-EMT, eh; NR-P, definitely.

OP
OP
B

BayEMTmaybeP

Forum Crew Member
I guess what I'm asking is (and forgive me this will be completely noob question) if I get my NREMT-P, do I have to keep my NREMT-B current as well, in case I get a job that requires EMT such as a FD?

Also, I don't plan to move from CA

Thanks!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I guess what I'm asking is (and forgive me this will be completely noob question) if I get my NREMT-P, do I have to keep my NREMT-B current as well, in case I get a job that requires EMT such as a FD?

Also, I don't plan to move from CA

Thanks!
No.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No. If you are a licensed medic in CA all you have to do is usually just call the state board and ask to send you an EMT license. If you are going medic there is no need to keep NREMT.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No. If you are a licensed medic in CA all you have to do is usually just call the state board and ask to send you an EMT license. If you are going medic there is no need to keep NREMT.
Yeh, what I said:cool:.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
NR-EMT, eh; NR-P, definitely.
See?o_O Lol all jokes aside, OP you're 24, a lot may change from now until you've been a paramedic for 2 years. Do you have to keep your NR up as a paramedic "planning" on never leaving CA*? No, but as a paramedic it can only help you.

*I "planned" on never having kids or owning a house when I was 24.

If you're questioning whether or not you should remain Nationally Registered as an EMT until you get your paramedic license, and say, apply at FD's in the meantime? It matters not, they'll be more impressed with you putting yourself through medic school, especially on your own dime; it shows initiative.

It's also shinier, they like shiny things...

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you put all your eggs in the paramedic school basket and are not successful, you're going to be scrambling to get things back in order to keep on living.

Ask me how I know.......

If you have the credit hours to recert, its a nominal fee. Just do it. If you dont, perhaps you can recertify as inactive without credits(I'm truly unfamiliar with that process); if not, maybe its worth it to recert by exam.

Either way, I'm always of the opinion that you keep a cert you earned until a) you supersede it, or b) you are truly, 100%, no bs sure you are dont with it(i.e. Retirement etc).

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have been living in CA since the early 80's. I haven't left this state yet. I earned my EMT, upgraded to EMTP and while I have kept my P card active since I got it (even though I was inactive in that role for years), I let my NREMTP cert go. Why? Because should I need it, I still have a path to regain that cert. Generally speaking, I agree with the above. Maintain the current cert unless you've superseded it. As a Paramedic, I'm automatically deemed an EMT and and AEMT with no further testing required. Because of this, it doesn't make any sense to maintain a lower level cert or license. Even though I'm an RN, I am not going to let my medic lapse because they are two completely separate licenses. I cannot function as one via the other license...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Question, I just renewed my CA State EMT last month, and plan (hopefully) to attend medic school next year.

My NREMT expires at the end of this week. Should I renew it, even if I hope to get my P-card within the next 2 years?

Thanks
do you have all the required con ed to renew it? than renew it.

if not, don't worry about it.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Never let any quals/certs lapse. You might need them in the future. I kept NREMT, got FL reciprocity for EMT, and challenged EMT-P. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
It's cheap to keep, and you'll never know when you need it. Sometimes specific jobs require you to have it. It's really, really easy to keep and a pain to get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I suppose if you're already in Paramedic school, or at least have gotten accepted and just waiting for class to start and don't otherwise need your NREMT to renew your state EMT while in school and are going to immediately get your NRP after you graduate medic school it'll probably be fine. But then again, there's always the chance you don't finish medic school for X reason, or life throws you a curve and find out you have to move or whatever....like everyone else says, it's just too easy to keep NREMT current until you get NRP (can't imagine any reason to keep NREMT current once you get your NRP though, but keep it current to you get your shiny new medic card).

I (foolishly) let my NREMT expire a couple years ago as I had no plans to move out of state then, and then I was thinking "Well I'll just go to medic school this year and simply get NRP and not worry about NR EMT...." well now I have a conditional job offer for an out of state agency that I will definitely be accepting (assuming nothing stupid happens to revoke the conditional lol....but hey, that's Murphy's Law right? so now I'm kinda kicking myself for not renewing NREMT, and the process to regain it for having been expired so long is kind of a pain....so yeah, my vote is keep your NREMT current until you have your NRP....though I would say if it's already expired and you're already in medic school then don't worry about it so much, but hey, stuff can still happen....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My NR can expire when I'm dead as far as I am concerned. Too much of a pain to get, and I also enjoy the idea of being 80 and still being carried around by minions while running for some volunteer service in the sticks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My NR can expire when I'm dead as far as I am concerned. Too much of a pain to get, and I also enjoy the idea of being 80 and still being carried around by minions while running for some volunteer service in the sticks.
Just for clarification: does you need your NR to be carried by your minions, or simply your state card?

My NJ EMT card expired last June...... I've had it since I was 16, and had planned on keeping it until I was really old. It was a sad moment

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I let mine lapse, but then again I'm already in medic school. No need to renew mine if I'll (hopefully) have my NRP at the beginning of the year.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just for clarification: does you need your NR to be carried by your minions, or simply your state card?

My NJ EMT card expired last June...... I've had it since I was 16, and had planned on keeping it until I was really old. It was a sad moment
It makes recertification infinitely easier in this state, but I suppose it's not a must. Unless I wish to be carried to another state.