Should Hipaa Be broken to protect Paramedics

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
I think this month and last month there have been lots of articles of paramedics getting hurt physically or blamed for actions they didn't do. Now since most services don't allow Medics to carry weapons do you think security cameras should be placed in the back of ambulance even though that may break HIPAA violations

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What is HIPPA?

Or do you mean HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't think I realized that was a HIPAA violation....

Several of our units already have cameras in the back... :ph34r:

OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
What is HIPPA?

Or do you mean HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)?

Thank you now how can I edit my title.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We had camera's in the back at my last service.

Don't claim it violates HIPAA unless a lawyer has told you so. It's a MASSIVELY misunderstood law.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We had camera's in the back at my last service.

Don't claim it violates HIPAA unless a lawyer has told you so. It's a MASSIVELY misunderstood law.

By the same token, you can't go placing cameras in the back of the ambulance without at least considering how HIPAA could affect it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As long as the info is not released inappropriately, I don't think having those cameras would actually violate HIPAA as it is now... and as long as the video is held for the length of any statute of limitations for assaults of various types, could also protect the patient and attendant from untrue allegations. JMHO.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Considering most hospitals have security cameras at places like the entrances, in the halls and in triage I don't think the presence of a video camera is automatically a HIPAA violation. If the camera also recorded audio I think that could pose some issues, but it would probably depend on exactly what was done with the recording after the call was done.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I think this month and last month there have been lots of articles of paramedics getting hurt physically or blamed for actions they didn't do. Now since most services don't allow Medics to carry weapons do you think security cameras should be placed in the back of ambulance even though that may break HIPAA violations

There are two edges on this blade making it a double-edged sword. While, yes, it will protect the caregivers in the back should things go wrong for the pt/provider on those intermittent and I frequent situations. However, it will record continuously. We are humans and we have human error. Meaning we err. Policies and Procedures are constant and do not allow for human error. Which means everytime you don't follow SOP by the letter, it's recorded. Everytime you actually screw up, it is also recorded. And it's permanent.

Careful what you wish for.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Considering most hospitals have security cameras at places like the entrances, in the halls and in triage I don't think the presence of a video camera is automatically a HIPAA violation. If the camera also recorded audio I think that could pose some issues, but it would probably depend on exactly what was done with the recording after the call was done.

But how many hospitals have cameras in the patient treatment rooms? Not exactly the same situation.

Aidey

But how many hospitals have cameras in the patient treatment rooms? Not exactly the same situation.

I think it is still a valid comparison. HIPAA is all about protected health information. Demographic information is protected, which you could kind tell kind of tell by video recording, but stuff like medical conditions you have, meds taken, genetic information can't really be gathered from a video only recording. Since your presence in the hospital, or presence in the back of the ambulance is not itself protected knowledge just a video shouldn't be protected information automatically.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Woah guys. There is a difference between recording information about a patient (be it by pen and paper, electronic PCR, bluetooth transmitted 12-lead, photo documenting wounds, or video documenting patient) versus releasing/accessing this information without permission in violation of privacy rights.

Having a camera in the patient compartment does NOT equal releasing the video without permission. One is legal and one is illegal.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Woah guys. There is a difference between recording information about a patient (be it by pen and paper, electronic PCR, bluetooth transmitted 12-lead, photo documenting wounds, or video documenting patient) versus releasing/accessing this information without permission in violation of privacy rights.

Having a camera in the patient compartment does NOT equal releasing the video without permission. One is legal and one is illegal.

Agreed...and we've all seen what a wonderful track record EMS agencies have protecting patient information.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Agreed...and we've all seen what a wonderful track record EMS agencies have protecting patient information.

Are we really that bad considering the massive amount of information happened? No one writes a story about how healthcare providers do a fine job keeping patient info private. Meanwhile one incidental leak results in a multitude of stories. I don't think EMS is any better or worse off than the rest of healthcare in this regard.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I was told by a Houston medic that some of their trucks have live feed cameras in the passenger compartment that allows real time monitoring of activities. Anybody know anything else about this?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I was told by a Houston medic that some of their trucks have live feed cameras in the passenger compartment that allows real time monitoring of activities. Anybody know anything else about this?

That's similar to what we have. The camera streams to a screen by the driver so he can monitor what's going on in case his partner gets in trouble (we have a lot of crazies down here...). I know it also ha a memory, but not sure how large or how often it's uploaded.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
That's similar to what we have. The camera streams to a screen by the driver so he can monitor what's going on in case his partner gets in trouble (we have a lot of crazies down here...). I know it also ha a memory, but not sure how large or how often it's uploaded.

This as I understand it transmits to a location where it can be monitored by med control and supervisors.

Aidey

That sounds safe while driving in city traffic...