Shady Companies In LA City

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Ive been noticing, there are alot of Ambulance Companies Operating Illegally or close to Illegal in Los Angeles City...

Mainly all of them are IFT companies, i was wondering if the city is going to crack down on them? why dont they do anything?

im quickly noticing LA City is a really F'ed up place to work if your not in Fire!

we need reform

medic417

The Truth Provider
Even fire has problems there.

The local areas will never do anything. The feds will get a few for medicare/medicaid fraud but that does not really put a stop to any of it.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

The local areas will never do anything. The feds will get a few for medicare/medicaid fraud but that does not really put a stop to any of it.

its sad, because im starting to find out all these IFT companies operate in the same shady way..

i wish i could go to a decently reputuable company but its soo impossible right now in CA

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Ive been noticing, there are alot of Ambulance Companies Operating Illegally or close to Illegal in Los Angeles City...

Mainly all of them are IFT companies, i was wondering if the city is going to crack down on them? why dont they do anything?

im quickly noticing LA City is a really F'ed up place to work if your not in Fire!

we need reform

Define illegally as i haven't been noticing it. Also city of L.A. got pain in the *** process of being able to put vehicle in to service unlike any other city/town with exception of la county.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief

I am guessing that is not what he/she is talking about...but will wait till he/she replys

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Mcormick isnt hiring, and Care takes a few months to get back to you

I just went to McCormicks site just for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and giggles and found out they hire paramedics. Do they use medics for IFTs or do they actually run 911?

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Define illegally as i haven't been noticing it. Also city of L.A. got pain in the *** process of being able to put vehicle in to service unlike any other city/town with exception of la county.

Missing Stickers, Missing Equipment, Run Down Rigs...

i dont know how half of the Rigs that are in service at least for our company are able to pass CHP/DOT Certifications...

as well as Medic417 mentioned the Amount of Medi/Medi Fraud...

it seems like there are quite a few companies in LA City that are run by Foreigners who want a quick buck from Medi/Medi.... and dont really give a damn about how they run the Company (or lack of running)

terrible one

Always wandering
There medics run both, primary IFT and back up 911. However, don't expect to use your ALS skills on emergency calls, that is LA co FD only. I know two medics who have been written up/let go for just that.
McCormick only has two ALS cars a day, one in Hawthorne the other in North Hollywood.

terrible one

Always wandering
MusicMedic welcome to SoCal EMS. If you want to get with any reputable company move out of CA (or atleast LA/OC/SD area)

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Missing Stickers, Missing Equipment, Run Down Rigs...

i dont know how half of the Rigs that are in service at least for our company are able to pass CHP/DOT Certifications...

as well as Medic417 mentioned the Amount of Medi/Medi Fraud...

it seems like there are quite a few companies in LA City that are run by Foreigners who want a quick buck from Medi/Medi.... and dont really give a damn about how they run the Company (or lack of running)

It takes around 4 month to get approval for existing company to put vehicle in to service and once you get that approval you got 120 days to do it or it expires and you have to start process over. With that being said, driving patient in to LA is not illegal, it's only illegal to pick them up from city of LA. So if all they are doing is dropping them in LA, they are not violating any rules/laws.

Regarding passing CHP/DOT. Have you looked at what is required for passing CHP? As long as vehicle is in running order that is all that is needed. Equipment beyond basic is not checked or required.

Medi-cal do not pay much, it's mainly medicare/private insurance company's. We are all for profit so yes we want a quick buck otherwise we would not be in this business. It's the reality of the business.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
MusicMedic welcome to SoCal EMS. If you want to get with any reputable company move out of CA (or atleast LA/OC/SD area)

yeah i wish i could, hopefully once i get my paramedic i can go somewhere reputable

Edit: there are a few reputable companies in Socal: Mccormick, Gerber, Doctors, Care, Hall, Schafer, etc..

but everyone and their mom wants to work for them...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
It takes around 4 month to get approval for existing company to put vehicle in to service and once you get that approval you got 120 days to do it or it expires and you have to start process over. With that being said, driving patient in to LA is not illegal, it's only illegal to pick them up from city of LA. So if all they are doing is dropping them in LA, they are not violating any rules/laws.

Regarding passing CHP/DOT. Have you looked at what is required for passing CHP? As long as vehicle is in running order that is all that is needed. Equipment beyond basic is not checked or required.

Medi-cal do not pay much, it's mainly medicare/private insurance company's. We are all for profit so yes we want a quick buck otherwise we would not be in this business. It's the reality of the business.

I know its not illegal to drop off in LA City, but its Illegal to pick them up as you stated, and ive seen a few companies pick up...

and about the quick buck, Sure All of us here to make a Profit, but when the owner does not care about Supplying the Rigs, Maintenance of the rigs and gurneys, Staffing Morale... Etc etc.. then the company isnt that great... ive heard of quite a few IFT companies skipping out on Equipment/Pay/Etc..... in LA City... Heck i even work for a company that refuses to change our gurneys or even repair them...

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I know its not illegal to drop off in LA City, but its Illegal to pick them up as you stated, and ive seen a few companies pick up...

and about the quick buck, Sure All of us here to make a Profit, but when the owner does not care about Supplying the Rigs, Maintenance of the rigs and gurneys, Staffing Morale... Etc etc.. then the company isnt that great... ive heard of quite a few IFT companies skipping out on Equipment/Pay/Etc..... in LA City... Heck i even work for a company that refuses to change our gurneys or even repair them...

If vehicle is not in order report them to CHP, also call ladot and report them. If you need ladot numbers i got no problem giving them to you. The pick up in the city is likely due to 120 days it takes to put vehicle officially in to service. To me that is crazy but it's all about money. Regarding pay, welcome to la over supply of emt why would we have pay more compare to what market says we should?

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
yeah i wish i could, hopefully once i get my paramedic i can go somewhere reputable

Edit: there are a few reputable companies in Socal: Mccormick, Gerber, Doctors, Care, Hall, Schafer, etc..

but everyone and their mom wants to work for them...

I worked for Medix as an EMT, I thought it was a great company. Rural metro in SD is a fun company to work for as a medic or an emt.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Keep an eye out for a black dude who drinks from a hip flash, has a bad *** afro and stores a 357 Magnum in the glove compartment ....

Seriously my buddy used to work for a company in South LA where guys drank on the job.

Whatever you do mate, stay north of the 10 freeway :D

JPINFV

Gadfly
Whatever you do mate, stay southwest of the 605. :D

Fixed that for ya.

/real Californians don't need to be told that a random jumble of numbers is a freeway
//Kinda of misses going N on the 73 to N 55 to N 5 to N 57 to get to work.
///Yes, that's 3 interchanges of "north bound" to "north bound" traffic.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Fixed that for ya.

/real Californians don't need to be told that a random jumble of numbers is a freeway
//Kinda of misses going N on the 73 to N 55 to N 5 to N 57 to get to work.
///Yes, that's 3 interchanges of "north bound" to "north bound" traffic.

See this is why its easier to take a big red and yellow helicopter to get places :D

I was told to stay north of the Century Fwy (105) and apparently I hear it was good advice ....

terrible one

Always wandering

Having worked for a few of them I can tell you there not as great as you think. Better than others sure, but I wouldn't get your hopes to high