Severe weather

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It looks like there's a lot of severe weather around the mid west and east coast today. What does your agency or department do different to prepare for days like this?

Sent using the Tapatalk app!

Tommerag

What day is it?
When the Severe weather season comes around here in Late April/May time frame, if it is looking like there is going to be severe weather, the National Weather Service dispatches us out for weather spotting at preassigned spots, so there are units all around the county. If we get reports of an damage to houses etc.We respond to make sure everything is alright.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The county may man its EOC, if there are widespread outages or flooding, they may open the shelter (staffed by the CERT team).

We have an inclement weather policy that states in inclement weather, ambulances do not get dispatched to calls unless there are confirmed patients involved. PD or fire QRVs go to the "car in the ditch" or "vehicle off the side of the road" calls and determine if EMS is needed.

Personally, I just make sure I have a rain coat and hat. I hate getting wet. We're in for it this afternoon, the bad weather is supposed to come during the afternoon busy period. We usually have a little rush between 1400-1800.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Lock the hubs in and put all the rigs in 4x4. put extra blankets in the QRU(Jeep Wrangler). Layer up ourselves.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
in the rain? Drive carefully, and be careful to go around the big puddles.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
We're in for it this afternoon, the bad weather is supposed to come during the afternoon busy period. We usually have a little rush between 1400-1800.

Today, during the rain and one thunderclap, my students were *convinced* we were all about to be killed by a tornado. I kept telling them that even if there was a tornado that hit the school, there's a fire station right across the street and they'd come get us out. :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Today, during the rain and one thunderclap, my students were *convinced* we were all about to be killed by a tornado. I kept telling them that even if there was a tornado that hit the school, there's a fire station right across the street and they'd come get us out. :)

That World-Class department definitely wouldn't let a little tornado get 'em down. ;)

We got some rain. The temperature dropped. Reminded me that 52 feels a whole lot different on the way up from 30 than down from 75. Crazy day in VA weather.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I like the rain. The grayness matches the general state of my mood.

I actually don't mind getting wet, as long as the temperature is such that it doesn't make me cold. I don't mind being wet, and I don't mind being cold, but I don't much like being cold and wet at the same time.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Severe Weather...

It looks like there's a lot of severe weather around the mid west and east coast today. What does your agency or department do different to prepare for days like this?

Sent using the Tapatalk app!

Longer snowboards and powder skis... ;) Maybe a little explosive here and there... Make sure the snowmobiles are in semi-working order...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Ensure sunglasses are free of smudges and scratches. :p

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Depends... we have a 2 person ALS/BLS crew 0600-1800 7 days a week so if the weather is during the day we pretty much leave it up to them as our town is small, and there is no commerce there.... but at commuting time the chief will put out a tone requesting man power as all the roads are twisty and windey and the speed limits are all 50MPH so sever weather usually causes some issues.

In the event of heavy rain we do the same sort of routine as we have three rivers through our town and they are prone to flooding. We have been trying to get the road commissioner to handle this sort of stuff but it falls on the FD.