Self Defense Instruments

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

How many of you carry self defense instruments? (Batons, knives, cuffs, and even guns/tasers.)

I ask as it is actually legal in a few countries and a few U.S. states.

What are your thoughts?

Rin

Forum Captain
I've modified my stethoscope to double as a spiked flail.

Most of my coworkers just carry a small folding knife for utility purposes. I can't imagine anyone pulling one in a fight...it would take too long to tie their left hand to their opponent's and find a radio station playing Michael Jackson's "Beat It."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I carry a knife on me on and off duty. It's more for utilities than for self defense.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're not allowed to carry any type of weapon (asp, tazer ect) but we are allowed to carry knives for whatever reason.

OP
OP
C

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Any of of you guys where vests (bulletproof/just extra padded)? I saw a video recently with FDNY guys wearing what looked like bulletproof vests.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Never worked at a place that allowed self defense type equipment to be carried. A small locker is ok, but someone would likely have words with you if your waltzed in with a big ol' sheath knife. I know people that carry big flashlights on their belt, but that looks like a pain.

I have also worked with people that carried a gun on the ambulance and I was not entirely pleased by that.

In most places carrying any sort of weapon (and yes a knife is a weapon but let's leave that out) isn't going to be allowed. Boston EMS carries handcuffs but I never saw the need for that either, there's not much that Kerlix and a spitsock can't solve.

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. Treadmills and seat belts would save more EMS lives than knives or guns.

2. How are cuffs "defensive weapons"? Do you swing them like nunchucks?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1. Treadmills and seat belts would save more EMS lives than knives or guns.

2. How are cuffs "defensive weapons"? Do you swing them like nunchucks?

I've seen them used as a sort of "brass knuckles"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Three words...Roll of quarters.

Not only could you pack you fist you can buy snacks too!

:rofl:

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a little something I call, "Not being a d-bag at work".

100% effective so far....

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I'll largely agree with Merck, but I'll note that when I was working as a security guard in a BAD part of town, I successfully used my clipboard (The same one I carry now) as both a defensive shield and as an offensive weapon. You could probably do the same with a toughbook...but unlike my clipboard, it probably wouldn't still work as a toughbook after.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
You could probably do the same with a toughbook...but unlike my clipboard, it probably wouldn't still work as a toughbook after.

it will work... those things can take a beating better than my last partner.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I've carried a gun every day for 10 years, yet, if I go into work as a paramedic, somehow people assume that I would somehow be a liability if I carried a gun.

I would love to be able to defend myself. I wish real life were like television where if you mind your own business and comply with bad guys, everything is ok. Unfortunately, a lot of people like Tom Givens or Claude Werner (former LEO/FBI guys) who are actually doing massive work breaking down the DOJ statistics are concluding that resistance rather than compliance with crime has higher survival rates.

Real life is not tv. People on tv walk up and give you a choice to hand over your drug box and then if you do, they leave you alone. In real life, criminals don't like witnesses. Even if you comply, you may still get injured or killed. I shouldn't have to jeopardize my own safety in order to help others.

jzero652

Forum Probie
Any of of you guys where vests (bulletproof/just extra padded)? I saw a video recently with FDNY guys wearing what looked like bulletproof vests.

My son is an FDNY EMT. He was shot at twice so I bought him a bulletproof vest.