Seeking Advice

EMTTheo16

Forum Probie
Hi guys,
I just earned my EMT-B rating, but I have been a volunteer driver on my Rescue Squad for a while. I have a major concern about my partner. He recently broke up with his girlfriend of 2 weeks, and he started hanging out with another guy on the squad, who has a past criminal record. Lately he has gone out drinking A LOT. Like, 3-4 nights a week. Im not talking about a glass of wine or beer at dinner. He gets pretty intoxicated. At first, I didnt think it was a big deal. But last night he left his work, told me he was coming to run calls with me at the squad. I found out this morning he went out and got drunk with his buddy, so he ditched his shift. I dont know what to do. I dont have any experience handling issues like this, and I dont want to ruin his good reputation. Should I tell my Captain? I dont know what to do

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Did you talk to HIM and express your concern?

Maybe try that first.

If you’re a friend who legitimately cares, you should have a chat.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to your friend.
If that doesn't work, and it directly effects your or his ability to work, talk to your supervisor.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
EMTTheo16, why would you go to anyone other than your friend to discuss this? It doesn't sound like a business matter. As long as he's sober when he's running calls, he can do whatever he likes on his own time. If you're concerned about his behavior, feel free to speak with him about it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
so many questions.......
He recently broke up with his girlfriend of 2 weeks
maybe they were in love?
and he started hanging out with another guy on the squad, who has a past criminal record.
so your squad allowed this guy to join who has a criminal record? or was the infraction not that big of a deal to prevent him from joining?
Lately he has gone out drinking A LOT. Like, 3-4 nights a week. Im not talking about a glass of wine or beer at dinner. He gets pretty intoxicated.
ehh, when I was in my late teens and early 20s in college, I got drunk 4 to 5 nights a week. some don't handle the freedom well, but many do grow out of it. I know I did... and I still have coworkers who get drunk 4 to 5 nights a week.
At first, I didnt think it was a big deal. But last night he left his work, told me he was coming to run calls with me at the squad. I found out this morning he went out and got drunk with his buddy, so he ditched his shift.
just for clarification, did he skip out on his assigned shift, or was he just going to hang out with you at the squad and run calls? those are two different things.
I dont know what to do. I dont have any experience handling issues like this, and I dont want to ruin his good reputation. Should I tell my Captain? I dont know what to do
wouldn't your captain know if he missed an assigned shift?

If you are worried, speak to him. idk what your relationship is, but if your friendly, it doesn't hurt to ask him what he is doing.how old is he? if he's legal, and doing the right things in life, and wants to drink a lot, more power to him.

As for skipping running calls with you to get drunk with friends, been there and done that. While I understand your concern, maybe he decided to go out with friends vs hanging with an 18 year old at the squad for a night. I can understand his point of view.

If you are worried about him, talk to him. If he isn't fulfilling his agency responsibilities, I would imagine one of your officers will address that with him.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
You can try to talk to him(and you should); just be aware that, until a person is ready(and I mean really, deep down inside ready) to face their problem, you aren't going to change them. There's a reason that the first step to recovery is recognizing you have a problem. Before you get to that point, nothing else matters.

All of that to say, go to your friend, express your concerns, know you're most likely going to get rebuked, and then decide how you'd like to proceed.