1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Seattle FD prepares for AMR EMT strike

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by DrParasite, Nov 15, 2018.

1. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned by anyone else, considering how Seattle Medic 1 is considered to be one of the best EMS agencies out there.

Some interesting highlights
    and
    Why would any for profit company continue with a contract where they have been losing money for several years, especially when they would exit the contact at any time?

read the rest in it's entirety here: https://www.ems1.com/american-medic...8-Wash-fire-dept-prepares-for-AMR-EMT-strike/

2. PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic Has no idea what I'm doing.

Education:
    Paramedic
    The Seattle fire contract they lose money on. But it allows them to have enough resources to make a lot of money from the hospital contracts they have. If they did just the hospitals they would not make as much as they do by also doing the 911 for the city.

Least that is how it was explained to me.

3. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
    Seattle EMS is a ****show. And has been for ages. The AMR trucks run willy nilly around the city with lights and sirens to haul BLS calls to the hospital. Its a joke of a system. They cant make contact until Seattle fire calls for them, so they stage around the corner and scream in L&S when they're requested. Why does Seattle fire send a ladder or engine to every EMS call and make the EMTs on the ambulance wait until the fire EMT evaluates the patient? Its ridiculous.

Skeeler likes this.
  4. RocketMedic

RocketMedic King of the Improbable

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Because everyone knows you’ve got to be Fire to be smart at medicine lol

5. ITBITB13

ITBITB13 Forum Lieutenant

Education:
    EMT
    $$$

They don’t want the public to know that non-fire EMTs can do the same EMT work just as well, sometimes better.

NomadicMedic likes this.
  6. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
    There's a fair amount if that. They also like to maintain the illusion that Seattle Fire EMTs are somehow better trained than the private BLS folks. It's helps fuel the "we're lifesavers" mystique.

7. VentMonkey

VentMonkey calpuleque Premium Member

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Our county’s FD now has a squad running around one of the battalions, I’m told at least another of their engines is in the midst of transitioning to an assessment engine. And our city FD has an assessment engine up and running as well.

...because, you know?...More medics on calls.

8. Skeeler

Skeeler Forum Ride Along

So I guess I should wait to consider hiring back on with AMR? I quit in Oct '99 for Respiratory Therapy school.

9. DrParasite

Seattle EMTs reach tentative deal with employer, averting strike
    In last-minute bargaining, the two sides met until midnight Thursday and resumed talks again Friday at 11 a.m. The details of the deal have not yet been released.

Emergency medical technicians (EMTs) who nearly went on strike this week have reached a tentative deal with their employer, American Medical Response (AMR).

The two sides met until midnight Thursday and resumed talks again Friday at 11 a.m., according to Teamsters Local 763, which represents about 450 AMR employees. “When two parties come to the brink of a major strike, the issues go beyond the simple details of a labor contract,” Teamsters Local 763 business agent Liz Brown said in a statement Friday morning.

Read the rest at https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...tentative-deal-with-employer-averting-strike/

I'm sure this part will go over well in future contract negotiations between AMR and the city: Meanwhile, AMR paid to bring about 200 of its employees from other cities and states to work in place of the striking EMTs. But for out-of-state employees to work in Washington, AMR needed a state waiver, which local officials refused to help the company secure.

PotatoMedic likes this.
  10. chriscemt

chriscemt Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Does anyone know how much AMR actually paid to do this, or should that read, "...AMR considered paying to bring..."?

11. DrParasite

Just going from what the article said..... my suspicion ( which is based on 0 facts) is AMR started the process rolling, brought their people from outside the area to be the strike breakers, maybe even had them start familiarizing themselves with the city, not realizing they needed the waiver for them to work as EMTs. And when when they learned they wouldn't get the much needed city support in this process, they worked even harder to make the union happy to avert a strike and a breach of their contract.

but again, that's based on 0 actual knowledge.

12. chriscemt

Education:
    EMT
    I wouldn't mind finding out that they paid and actually brought employees to the Seattle area in the same way a DRT deployment would work and paid for room/board/OT out the wazzoo.

13. DrParasite

Yes, but IIRC, for a DRT deployment, AMR is reimbursed for all those costs by FEMA.

While they likely did the same process as a DRT deployment, in this case everything comes out of their own budget, as I don't think Seattle or Kings County will be reimbursing them... nor should they.

PotatoMedic likes this.
  14. chriscemt

Education:
    EMT
    Right. That's like what I said.

15. PotatoMedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    On a side note... If I was told correctly by my friends that work at Seattle amr, if they had striked the contract with the city would have required amr to hand over their ambulances to Seattle fire, keep them stocked, and I believe pay Seattle fire to staff then with sfd firefighters.

16. CCCSD

CCCSD Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Wait...so the NREMTs had to be certified locally..? Thank God for that National Registry thingy...

17. PotatoMedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    I didn't know we were talking about the nremt here.

18. johnrsemt

johnrsemt Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    So AMR was only paying $15.94 to start when minimum wage in Seattle is $15.00, I wouldn't be happy with that either.

And Seattle Fire was going to take the fully stocked ambulances from AMR to use if they struck? Wow, wonder who wrote that contract.

19. Addrobo

Addrobo Droog

Education:
    Paramedic
    Anybody have any details on the tentative agreement? I've heard some rumblings of employees getting 100% paid medical benefits but haven't had any confirmation.