1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Scope of Practice for Each State

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by WuLabsWuTecH, Jul 4, 2008.

1. EMT533

EMT533 The Rookie

Education:
    Student
  2. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Forum Chief

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    STXmedic likes this.
  3. EMT533

EMT533 The Rookie

Education:
    Student
    Hey I'm trying here.

4. TransportJockey

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Not saying that to be rude or knock you down. Just clarifying for people who aren't from here.

5. gotbeerz001

gotbeerz001 Forum Deputy Chief

6. EMT533

EMT533 The Rookie

Education:
    Student
    Thanks!

7. NUEMT

NUEMT Forum Lieutenant

Not sure if mentioned yet but this site is maintained sort of automatically as I understand from the webmaster.

http://www.emsprotocols.org/

8. CaitlinBelinda

CaitlinBelinda Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
  9. savemachine

savemachine Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Thank you for your forum post. I greatly appreciate the websites that you have researched for the public to view about the scope of practice. I know that Virginia's scope of practice is stated in the board of nursing in Virginia. I believe that if you just look at the board of nursing websites in all of the states of America, that should be OK. They should have a practice acts for nursing and all health care professions.

10. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Nope. Not even close.

11. TransportJockey

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Why would my NM scope of practice ve listed on a nursing website? (Hint: it's not). And in Texas we dont even have a state scope :) We are not regulated, thank the gods, by the nursing profession

12. savemachine

Education:
    EMT

13. savemachine

Education:
    EMT
    I live in Virginia and we also like many states have state practice acts that involve nursing. Here is one of the links that talks about Virginia's state practice acts:
    http://www.allnurses.com/ . . . /Virginia nursing

That website tells about nursing in Virginia. You can also go to the search engine http://www.google.com and type in "nurse practice acts in Virginia." That will also tell you and give you information about Virginia's practice acts in nursing. I hope this was helpful to you.

14. STXmedic

STXmedic Forum Burnout Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    What?... It looks like VA has their own Department of EMS, separate from nursing, with their own scope of practice...

NomadicMedic likes this.
  15. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
  16. savemachine

Education:
    EMT
    Virginia's nurse practice act can be found in the Virginia Board of Nursing Website. It clearly states what each nurse whether they are a CNA, LPN, ADN, or BSN and nurse practioners can do in the state of Virginia. The board of nursing in Virginia is located in Henrico, VA. which is near Richmond which is the capital of Virginia.

17. STXmedic

STXmedic Forum Burnout Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Why do you keep bringing up nursing?

TransportJockey likes this.
  18. Akulahawk

Akulahawk EMT-P/ED RN Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    We thank you for the information you have provided, however this forum isn't primarily nursing related as it is for the Emergency Medical Services (EMT, AEMT, Paramedic) folks and discussions. This thread is primarily to list and discuss various the Scope of Practice of EMS personnel across the various US States. Virginia does have its own EMS board, which is separate from the State BON there.

Yes, we do have quite a few members that are Nurses, but the majority are not. I'm one of a few members that hold a license as a Registered Nurse and a Paramedic and my licenses are current. I, like a few others here, am also a member of AllNurses. Being that I'm both a Paramedic and an RN, I have to be very cognizant of which "hat" I'm wearing at the moment as that can impact my authorized scope of practice. While my scope of practice is generally wider as an RN, the autonomy I have as a Paramedic is greater as I'm more functionally independent as long as I'm utilizing the protocols (I don't have to ask "mother, may I").

Chimpie likes this.
  19. savemachine

Education:
    EMT
    I live in Virginia and we have a board called Virginia Board of Nursing. My name is under the nurse aide registry of Virginia because I have taken the certification test in 1999. When I just became certified, the board of nursing in Virginia gave me a paper copy of the scope of nursing for CNA's in Virginia and it basically states basic patient care. Every state has there own state nursing practice acts.

20. TransportJockey

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Good for you? But what does this have to do with ems? Nursing SOP is different and under different boards or state offices.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk