Scope of practice for alcohol poisoning for an EMT-B, EMT-I and or EMT-P

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMT-B, EMT-I and/or EMT-P, when is it out of scope of practice to suspected alcohol poisoning and place it on the PCR? What are the signs and symptoms you need to look for in alcohol poisoning and how do you treat it (on and or off duty)? How can you tell if someone (like at a bar) just had too much to drink and will have a killer hang over the next day (been there done that myself) or if there is a true medical problem? If it is a true alcohol poisoning, how do you treat it on the job and/or off the job? In the event no EMS personal is around on/off duty, what can happen to a true alcohol poisoning victim if left untreated?

The reason that I am asking is because I was at a bar the other night and someone was throwing up and was not looking that well. Some of my friends where calling me over to help an unknown person to me nor my friends (remember I am not an NREMT just yet) to help. I followed what was told to me in class to make sure that there was no blood in vomit (coffee grounds like substitutes) and the victim was not fully unresponsive (on the AVPU scale, it was a cross from a loud V to pushing the victim without painful stimulation to get a response ).

I know that I could search the internet, but I would like to hear this information from the field then guessing the information that I was reading was true. Yes I know it is a rookie question, but I am one!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Best bet is follow company protocols.

But, if operating outside of a company;
Follow the simple rule-- if they are throwing up, they've gone to far. Thats the bodies response to a toxin inside the system, and trying to flush it out. Give them water, as it helps hydrate. Use your judgment to call 911, but remember, if they are intoxicated, they cannon consent against medical help.

Now, what can happen to a true alcohol poisoning victim without help? Answered your own question; poisoning. They can die.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Further... if you are in a bar, and not working at the time... I'm going to hazard a guess that you are less than sober yourself... Danger Will Robinson - Drunk EMT's are bad. Wait until you arrive to find folks drunker than the patient saying "I can help... I'm a Fireman" or "EMT". It's funny afterward.

OP
OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Further... if you are in a bar, and not working at the time... I'm going to hazard a guess that you are less than sober yourself... Danger Will Robinson - Drunk EMT's are bad. Wait until you arrive to find folks drunker than the patient saying "I can help... I'm a Fireman" or "EMT". It's funny afterward.

I am not a heavy drinker, I will only have one beer when not at my house. I do not want to join the DUI club again.

Besides throwing up, what other signs will show?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I am not a heavy drinker, I will only have one beer when not at my house. I do not want to join the DUI club again.

Besides throwing up, what other signs will show?

Slurred speech, nausea, blurred vision, seizures, slow breathing, confusion, cyanotic skin, hypothermia, unconsciousness.