Scope of Practice(Combi Tubes)?

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
My emt instructor recently got back from a EMS confrence in Texas. He said there were possable changes if Indiana, excepts the new National Scope of Practice. One being no longer being able to put in combi tubes, kings, or rush airways(sorry if I misspelled anything).

Just wondering how many States still allow Emt-B`s to insert these airways?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
My emt instructor recently got back from a EMS confrence in Texas. He said there were possable changes if Indiana, excepts the new National Scope of Practice. One being no longer being able to put in combi tubes, kings, or rush airways(sorry if I misspelled anything).

Just wondering how many States still allow Emt-B`s to insert these airways?

Virginia allows EMT-B's to drop the "tube of shame," commonly known as the King. We got rid of combitubes, since they showed no benefit for out of hospital discharge. Nasals have always been in the EMT-B's scope. Whether or not each state chooses to adopt the new National Scope of Practice depends on many things, such as supply of medics, or supply of EMS in general for rural areas, for example.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Allowed in CO

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-IV's in Tennessee are allowed to drop tubes.

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
B's are allowed to drop Kings at my company (so I would assume the rest of FL as well), but almost all the trucks are medic-basic so usually the medic does their thing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NM and TX allow supraglottic airways for BLS providers

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
TN EMT-IV is allowed Combi, PTL, and King, again the EMT-IV being trained to i/85 and not just the b standard

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Southern Arizona (SAEMS) is trying to bring back the Combitube for us (especially us very remote locations,) they alow EMT-Bs here for departments like mine to start IVs.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I just finished my EMT course and i never even heard of a combitube or king. What are those?? (Im in CT)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Basics in WA can use "multi-lumen, esophageal-tracheal intubation devices"

So yes. WA basics can use Combitubes. I believe paramedics are required to use them after one unsuccessful standard intubation attempt.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
EMT-B's here can use the Combitube, however the majority of agencies don't even carry them from my understanding...

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
NM allows Combi, King and LMA for basics

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
TN EMT-IV is allowed Combi, PTL, and King, again the EMT-IV being trained to i/85 and not just the b standard

I really should have been clearer in my post. "Tubes" was just too open to interpretation.

Thanks for clarifying, Rob!

zmedic

Forum Captain
Thought the King was pulled from most places in the US because the FDA found that it wasn't approved for prehospital use.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
they did, the king LT was not however a King LTS-D apparently is approved. same tube but the LTS-D has a NG port and larger balloons.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thought the King was pulled from most places in the US because the FDA found that it wasn't approved for prehospital use.

The King wasn't approved for prehospital use, but the FDA doesn't regulate the practice of medicine in that fashion. It's just an example of off-label use.

Last edited by a moderator: