School nurses and paramedics revive 7 year old in cardiac arrest

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Great story, especially today...

BOSTON — Quick-thinking school nurses and paramedics are being credited with saving the life of a 7-year-old boy who went into cardiac arrest after choking on food during a school Christmas party.

Read the story here

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Field save, yes. Was his brain saved? Who knows. I certainly hope so!

The story is pretty thin on details, so... I'll leave it at that.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Field save, yes. Was his brain saved? Who knows. I certainly hope so!

The story is pretty thin on details, so... I'll leave it at that.

Awww, come on! It's Christmas. Every quick action choking turned arrest I've had in the field was a good save so I'm being optimistic that it was! That's why I love them first responders so much. ^_^

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I really wish someone would educate journalists on the difference between cardiac arrest and a "heart attack".

/nitpick

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder what I would do on this scene. Attempt to clear airway, use direct laryngoscopy. Bottom line, how long would you spend on scene until you loaded and went.

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
I wonder what I would do on this scene. Attempt to clear airway, use direct laryngoscopy. Bottom line, how long would you spend on scene until you loaded and went.

i would load as soon as i was able to secure an airway.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
journalists know crap. heart attack??? wish the writer coiuld recognize the signs.

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
What a great gift for the parents to have there son still around for X-Mas.
Great Work by the paramedics!
I hope they did revive him in time.

I really wish someone would educate journalists on the difference between cardiac arrest and a "heart attack".

/nitpick

Not just journalists but the general public.

I heard quite a few people go, Oh so and so dies of a heart attack and I reply, no I'm pretty sure they died of cardiac arrest and they are like what's the difference.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I saw a headline the other day that was something like "Cause of death thought to be cardiac arrest".

Well no duh. Everyone dies of cardiac arrest, the question is what caused the cardiac arrest!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Or CNN talking about Michael Jackson.... "He was suffering from Cardiac Arrest... which is a serious medical condition"

firecoins

IFT Puppet
oh come on! I have been in cardiac arrest for 3 years and haven't had a problem.

According to the NY post/Daily News, Sean Avery has been a pro hockey player playing with cardiac arrest since the 07/08 playoffs. They said he died of it actually. He looks good for a dead guy.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
oh come on! I have been in cardiac arrest for 3 years and haven't had a problem.

According to the NY post/Daily News, Sean Avery has been a pro hockey player playing with cardiac arrest since the 07/08 playoffs. They said he died of it actually. He looks good for a dead guy.
Zombies...

ethorp

Forum Probie

do you put the pads on your self when you get to work every day?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Good news around the holidays.

Well done!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief

The dude probably need like an extention cord for his ICD man it must be going off 24/7 :rolleyes: