Scenarios for an EMT trauma airway lab

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a good list already, but want to get at the creative knowledge of other providers.

For a 70 minute EMT skills airway lab, what would you cover in a hands-on lab meant to cover BVM, NPA, OPA, Suction, O2 Administration as it relates to the trauma patient. Students have already practiced these skills, but not in relation to a trauma patient. I want to make it applicable and bring over topics they've seen in lecture only so far.

Current ideas:
Scenario that involves hyperventilating patient.
Patient throwing up, rolling to side while holding c-spine, suctioning, wiping secretions to regain good seal.
Conciouss to unconscious. Breathing to not breathing. Gag to no gag reflex.
Patients in awkward position and gaining in-line spinal stabilization.

Looking for a lot of the little stuff. Trouble shooting perhaps that we learn from the field that I might forget. Stuff like wipe vomit off face after throwing up, instead of having the BVM slide around the face from slipperiness. 1-person bagging with jaw thrust (any good tips on this let me know). Coordinating strapping patient to board while bagging. The little things new EMT's usually tend to have to work out on their own (or be coached on) when they get to the field.

Etc. Etc.
It's tomorrow, so post now!

vquintessence

Forum Captain
I'm not sure if these are what you're looking for in relation to trauma:

*Assisting Paramedic by providing cricoid pressure for difficult intubations.

*Importance of french catheters when assisting or preparing to suction through ETT or tracheostomy.

*Regarding jaw thrust, get the jaw & seal into position using both hands, then simply release one hand to have it bag. I find that easier to maintain once the jaw is raised, instead of just using one hand from the get go. The mannequins don't represent the true difficulty one iota. (Hope that makes even a shred of sense).

*Importance of trying to ventilate in-synch with a pt with a depressed (yet present) respiratory drive.

OP
OP
AnthonyM83

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.