Scenario - Found Somewhere

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Scenario

23 y/o Male Patient

States he had a sudden, dull pain in his back, just below the shoulder blades; almost like he was struck with a blunt object. Pain went away with in a few seconds, during the time he felt the pain, he had sudden SOB, and inability to inhale; and suffered a momentary loss of consciousness. After pain subsided, he began to have mid-sternal chest pain that recur at regular intervals. Heart rate in the mid 80's, respiratory rate 20, bp 120/80. No history, and takes no medications. When pain begins, heart rate can vary anywhere from 90 to 140. BP elevates to around 140/90. resp rate remain the same. Other than slight tachycardia with pain, EKG shows normal sinus rhythm. O2 Sat 96% on room air. No sign of injury, at the time the pain began, patient was walking at a slow pace. No diaphoresis; skin is warm & pink.

What could be wrong?

Summit

Critical Crazy
no trauma hx?

beats me. acid reflux and something else maybe? load him up, high flow O2, call PA or ALS (b/c i have no idea whats wrong with em)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 13 2005, 03:12 AM
and suffered a momentary loss of consciousness.
This is the part that's getting me...

Ok I'm a n00b but I gotta guess...sooo at 23 y/o, I'd say trauma (playing football or something and didn't realize he'd hurt himself...broken rib maybe?

My creative guess... ;)

Post-op trans gender female...having silent MI.

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 13 2005, 10:10 PM

Post-op trans gender female...having silent MI.
:blink:

Um. No.

Maybe, minor trauma, fall from standing height-backward onto the ground. Several weeks prior to incident.

That's all I have. People don't reply to the thing I "borrowed" it from very often.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
If he was tall and thin (or just thin) I say spnontaneous pneumothorax.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Mar 14 2005, 12:53 AM
If he was tall and thin (or just thin) I say spnontaneous pneumothorax.
I shoudl have thought of that. But the LOC?

What were the breathsounds?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
If it's a spontaneous pneumothorax I think they can go up to a few days before they become hypoxic? So LOC could be normal.

I cheated and looked through my book, I'm with this conclusion too.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok - I'm REALLY scratching my head, but here is my differiantal Dx. List.

PE
MI
Blood clot somewhere else in cardiothoratisc cavity
Spontanious Pneumo

NO friggin' clue

Jon

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Response from poster on original site:
Bulging disc, possibly caused by severe coughing due to bronchitis, Lung sounds scratchy bi/lat bases. Hx of narrowing of the spinal canal causing momentary loss of sensation to the area of the diaphram. Some pain in areas above and below w/ point tenderness above the affected area, no swelling. All pain subsided w/ in 24 hours. LOC could have been a response to the feeling of not being able to inhale or exhale, i.e. panic attack. Midsternal pain, below the xyphoid process, possible nerve response due to disc herniation in that area. Occasional numbness in left hand. All vitals stable, no respiratory difficulty. Symptoms gone w/ in 24 hours.

who knows.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 14 2005, 08:46 PM
Bulging disc, possibly caused by severe coughing due to bronchitis, Lung sounds scratchy bi/lat bases. Hx of narrowing of the spinal canal causing momentary loss of sensation to the area of the diaphram. Some pain in areas above and below w/ point tenderness above the affected area, no swelling. All pain subsided w/ in 24 hours. LOC could have been a response to the feeling of not being able to inhale or exhale, i.e. panic attack. Midsternal pain, below the xyphoid process, possible nerve response due to disc herniation in that area. Occasional numbness in left hand. All vitals stable, no respiratory difficulty. Symptoms gone w/ in 24 hours.

who knows.
I knew that... :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
bizzare.

jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Damn they never gave us that one in class...

Summit

Critical Crazy
Oh.... coughing now?

My guess for LOC is now cough syncope (not that uncommon... happened to W bush last year)

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 14 2005, 08:46 PM

who knows.
I was just about to say that. :ph34r:

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Phridae+Mar 15 2005, 03:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Phridae @ Mar 15 2005, 03:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blueeighty8@Mar 14 2005, 08:46 PM

who knows.
I was just about to say that. :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
I knew it before you did :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: