Scariest thing that I have ever witnessed

musicistheforce

Forum Probie
On Wednesday morning as I was driving to my very last clinical as an advanced student (I was basically just getting some experience as an EMT) I witnessed a car wreck. But not just any old car wreck, no, I watched as a red SUV was pulling towards me on the road and a grey SUV ran the red light and ran into the red SUV at 45+ MPH. I watched helplessly as the red SUV was hit hard enough to go onto 2 wheels and then in the air and back down on its side. I look over to the lane next to me and watch the lady in the car have her hand over her mouth and I knew I had to do something. I quickly went to the closet and safest parking lot I could and parked my car throwing my keys into the pocket of my BDUs and ran across the street. I remember yelling that I was an EMT and for someone to call 911. I quickly ran to the red SUV and yelled through the windshield that they would be okay and that we had an ambulance and the fire department on the way. I remember that the lady from the grey SUV was out of her car so I asked her if she hurt anywhere besides her hand (she had a gash on her thumb) and she said no, so to try to cam her down I asked if she wanted to sit down and wait for the police. This whole time people are working on getting the doors/windows anything off of the red SUV to get the people out. I noticed some paper towels in the red SUV and I told the guy whose leg was on it that I was reaching down and grabbing them (so he didn't get freaked out by me touching him) and I grab a couple of and tell the grey SUV driver to hold them one her finger until the paramedics arrive and have a better look at it. By then the police and Fire and EMS have arrived and they take over everything and I answer about 40 times what happened and my give them my information. One of my teachers responded to that call and laughed and asked if I was okay...I told him I was just a little excited because I witnessed the whole thing. The last police man that I walked to told me I was a good student/Samaritan for staying to help and I told him that I woulda felt bad if I didn't. I actually rode the rest of the day with the truck that responded to the wreck and when I left the medic I rode with told me that they appreciated my help with the roller that morning.

I hope that you enjoyed reading this, because it was one heck of a learning experience;)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
He learned red lights mean stop and SUVs are top heavy.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
You yelled at them that they'd be okay, before they were extricated (read: you're able to do a thorough assessment)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
He learned red lights mean stop and SUVs are top heavy.

...and that your car keys go in your BDU pockets when you're running across the street?

Maybe?

I'd think your first job should have been to call 911. Then keep the bystanders out of the road and away from a potentially unstable vehicle.

But that's just me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
yelled through the windshield that they would be okay

Don't ever make promises you don't know if you can keep.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I quickly went to the closet and safest parking lot I could and parked my car throwing my keys into the pocket of my BDUs and ran across the street. I remember yelling that I was an EMT and for someone to call 911. I quickly ran to the red SUV and yelled through the windshield that they would be okay and that we had an ambulance and the fire department on the way.

The only time an EMT should run is if it is really cold outside and you're trying to get back to your nice warm ambulance and no one is looking so if you slip and fall it is no big deal. Other than that, no running.

As another poster asked, I would be curious to know what you learned from this experience.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Seriously though props for stopping and helping. A lot of folks wouldn't have even bothered to make the 911 call.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
Wow, talk bursting somebody's happy bubble. I'm sure if all of you think back to the first time you felt like you actually helped somebody that you felt pretty dang good too.
I'm just saying.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wow, talk bursting somebody's happy bubble. I'm sure if all of you think back to the first time you felt like you actually helped somebody that you felt pretty dang good too.
I'm just saying.

I agree. Everyone was new once, the sarcasm is kind of uncalled for.

OP
OP
M

musicistheforce

Forum Probie
Don't ever make promises you don't know if you can keep.

dude...the driver was an elderly woman who was freaking out, from what I saw there were no life threats, she wasn't bleeding, and was wearing her seat belt. If I was in the same situation I would want someone to tell me that I would be okay if I had just flipped a car

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm not a dude. And i'm just saying, for all you know she could have been bleeding internally. You open yourself up to liability by telling the patient "Everything is going to be okay"

You can verbally calm them without making empty promises. "My name is musictheforce and I am trained to help. An ambulance is on the way" would have had the same affect without promising something you truly do not know.

LostViet408

Forum Crew Member
I feel this forum personnel always has something negative to say to one another in most o the threads, not really a good place to even post about anything at all besides looking for a job. Admins not doing anything to disburse the tensions in this forums. Great job, now your losing another user.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I think this forum is a great resource. There were posters defending the OP. Mods have their hands full and do the best they can.

Been here for years. It's always survived.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I feel this forum personnel always has something negative to say to one another in most o the threads, not really a good place to even post about anything at all besides looking for a job. Admins not doing anything to disburse the tensions in this forums. Great job, now your losing another user.

As I've said before, if your not willing to have it ripped to shreds, don't put it out there. We learn much more from people critiquing us than patting us on the back. The world's not all puppy dogs and rainbows.

Our patients deserve that we swallow our ego and be willing to get called on the carpet.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I hope you had gloves on, & made sure the scene was safe before running*across the street to SUV man. What if he had a gun was on pcp or w/e. dead first responders can't help anyone... Just sayin

.+1 on the old lady with possible internal bleeding. Unless you're a human xray or whatever just say "rescue is on the way, and doing all I can to help"

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Okay, then, let me step in...

Everyone!

Carry on, be nice, be honest, admit if you goofed, don't go down without a fight, appreciate that anyone listens at all, be willing to change your position, and HELP OTHERS to appreciate your wisdom.

That is all.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not too bad. Could have been worse.

I see nothing wrong with reassuring someone in trouble, it hardly constitues a diagnosis. If it doesn't come to pass you might lose some creds, but with excited people on a scene, that can happen even if you'r doing it right. Promises are another more personal matter.

Good on you for staying and giving your account of the wreck.