SBCFD introduces ambulance operator program

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
OP
OP
Amberlamps916
It's the retirement that entices most folks, that and the chance to hopefully transition to firefighter.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I make $10.80 an hour as a medic on a 24 for AMR in the same area that these ambulance operators will be working in btw.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
That is ridiculous! Like not even funny. I'm sire there retirement isn't the same as a "sworn" member. Just a county across the emts make more

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's even worse is we had half of the guys in my medic program test for the position. Their thinking was "I'll have to drop out of the medic program to get the job but who cares, they will surely pay for me to go through another medic program".

In the SoCal area that is on the ground funny to believe that

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
That's dumb and the people that apply for that just make it the standard to accept those ridiculous wages and keep ems secondary to fire

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Shoot I get paid more than that as an EMT-B Ambulance Operator here in LA County, plus I'm in CalPERS

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Their retirement is CalPERS from what I read as well.

Angel

Paramedic
What's even worse is we had half of the guys in my medic program test for the position. Their thinking was "I'll have to drop out of the medic program to get the job but who cares, they will surely pay for me to go through another medic program".

In the SoCal area that is on the ground funny to believe that

that is absurd. they'll be in for a rude awakening. yeeaa...FD is great an all but this just does not seem worth it. ugh...seems truly like a spit in the face. sure we make most of our money from ambulance transports, but lets these guys a FRACTION of what they deserve while they just pocket the rest FOR????????

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
I give it a year tops before so called "Big Changes" will happen to this program! 911 doesn't pay and they aren't going to be doing dialysis transports (which only just pay) so this will be a fun ride to watch and I'll be right in the middle of three of those stations!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I give it a year tops before so called "Big Changes" will happen to this program! 911 doesn't pay and they aren't going to be doing dialysis transports (which only just pay) so this will be a fun ride to watch and I'll be right in the middle of three of those stations!
Ahhh, they will just start asking the state for more money

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
that is absurd. they'll be in for a rude awakening. yeeaa...FD is great an all but this just does not seem worth it. ugh...seems truly like a spit in the face. sure we make most of our money from ambulance transports, but lets these guys a FRACTION of what they deserve while they just pocket the rest FOR????????
...FIGHTING FIRES!!! They just drive the boo boo bus, firefighters are the real heroes, haven't you heard?

Angel

Paramedic
...FIGHTING FIRES!!! They just drive the boo boo bus, firefighters are the real heroes, haven't you heard?

BARF! lol nothing against firefighters, honestly, but thats crap. the public is so grossly misinformed. their the' real true heros' and weird the dang taxi service or ambulance drivers thats underpaid and abused; by employers and patients a like.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wait you make 10.xx as a medic Addrobo?

I'll stop complaining now.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Ventura starts at 13ish on 24s just sayin

So I've heard, but would you rather work in the high desert (Victorville, Adelanto, Apple Valley, etc.) or much nicer areas if you had the choice?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes but the 2-3hr difference is not going to cover the cost of living difference at all. Ventura and similar valley can easily be double that of the HD and San Berndoo