San Diego EMT wanting to bridge

EMTT760

Forum Probie
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an EMT in the greater San Diego area with around 8 month's experience as a EMT-B doing IFT, also a Medic In the National Guard. I've looked around for other opportunities such working for Rural Metro and Mercy Ambulance who work 9-11 contracts.

I'm right at that point where I should be taking either a Fire Academy or going to a Paramedic Prep program. But I wanted to gain the experience of working within a 9-11 environment. I understand it's a perishable skill not to use, I feel that I am lacking in my use of them due the IFT general transport environment.

Question is should I bother seeking out bridge type of environment or go straight to school?

wtferick

Forum Captain
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an EMT in the greater San Diego area with around 8 month's experience as a EMT-B doing IFT, also a Medic In the National Guard. I've looked around for other opportunities such working for Rural Metro and Mercy Ambulance who work 9-11 contracts.

I'm right at that point where I should be taking either a Fire Academy or going to a Paramedic Prep program. But I wanted to gain the experience of working within a 9-11 environment. I understand it's a perishable skill not to use, I feel that I am lacking in my use of them due the IFT general transport environment.

Question is should I bother seeking out bridge type of environment or go straight to school?
You just said it buddy. :)

Hi everyone,

San Diego you say? I used to work in that area. That is until I left for opportunities in Kern Co, where I work for a primary 911 company.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
San Diego you say? I used to work in that area. That is until I left for opportunities in Kern Co, where I work for a primary 911 company.
Right on point. If you want to work 911 in LA/OC/SD be prepared to really compete for a spot with one of those few companies, and then wait for them to bridge you over.
If you wanna be a firefighter, take an academy and start testing.
If you wanna be a paramedic, take a prep class and start applying to schools.
If you wanna work 911 as an EMT now, without waiting for a 911 provider to hire you and eventually bridge you over, go to San Bernaghetto, Riverside, Kern, or Tulare county.
911 experience is far from necessary for an academy or medic school, but it will certainly make it easier.