San Diego EMS Curiosity

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Was curious if anyone knows how pay and the EMS system is down in San Deigo? I know is super split between a bunch of companies and some fire departments transport their own like San Marcos.

Just out curiosity if anyone knows how Falck has been doing since they took over a few of the zones. My best friend lives in SD and when I was down there a few weeks ago I saw one of the Falck units on a call and maybe I was being a lil creep but I was looking at their rig and it always seems like Falck has a nice equipment lol. Always wanted to work for Falck even after being with AMR for almost 2 years now.

I’ve always heard that pay for EMS in San Diego is pretty garbage. Wondering what the emts and medics are making at Falck and if they’re paying higher than AMR did. Really seems to me that Riverside Co. is one of the better paid EMS systems.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
New medics get 18 an hour plus right now a sign on bonus of 10k thats paid over 2 years. If you're a seasoned medic they have a tiered system and give more pay I think up to 22 an hour. I don't work for falck but some of my past partners do and this is the passed down information.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
New medics get 18 an hour plus right now a sign on bonus of 10k thats paid over 2 years. If you're a seasoned medic they have a tiered system and give more pay I think up to 22 an hour. I don't work for falck but some of my past partners do and this is the passed down information.
I would hope the pay is better than that. Starting pay for AMR in Riverside and San Bernardino counties is in the $24 range with starting EMTs being in the $18 range.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And FYI on bonuses....for ANY job, they are a TRAP! Avoid them. You are better off trying to negotiate away the bonus in exchange for even $1 more an hour at a minimum. I tell this to all my RN colleagues who get excited at a 20K bonus over time offer. Still applies to EMS as well.

If you take the average hours expected to work over that two year period, and calculate your earnings with $1-$2 more per hour, you will fare way better over that time span. Now factor in the overtime which we all know you will work in same time period and any other additional incentives if they exist like shift differentials or holiday pay.

**And do NOT forget, bonuses are taxed HIGHER on your federal, as well as some states. But it absolutely is higher taxed at fed level.

Really work it out if you ever think that bonus is sexy as to whether or not you really need it, does it have value, and is it worth being "tied" to your employer for 2 years to fully collect.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
And FYI on bonuses....for ANY job, they are a TRAP! Avoid them. You are better off trying to negotiate away the bonus in exchange for even $1 more an hour at a minimum. I tell this to all my RN colleagues who get excited at a 20K bonus over time offer. Still applies to EMS as well.

If you take the average hours expected to work over that two year period, and calculate your earnings with $1-$2 more per hour, you will fare way better over that time span. Now factor in the overtime which we all know you will work in same time period and any other additional incentives if they exist like shift differentials or holiday pay.

**And do NOT forget, bonuses are taxed HIGHER on your federal, as well as some states. But it absolutely is higher taxed at fed level.

Really work it out if you ever think that bonus is sexy as to whether or not you really need it, does it have value, and is it worth being "tied" to your employer for 2 years to fully collect.
There is a local nursing home, a real hell hole, Offering literally $20,000 sign on bonus for LPNs AND 20% off your rent at a local apartment complex.

Certainly the string was you had to stay a year or more and they know no one stays there more than a few weeks.. lol

OP
OP
Mitchellmvhs

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
That’s insane how low it is. San Diego’s cost of living I’d think is way higher than Riverside. My AMR division starts EMT’s at 19.50 right now.

Mtnsmedic

Forum Ride Along
Bump curious if anyone on the ground as more info on morale, pay increases, schedules, etc.

From what I could find on the google, sounded like Falck is not doing great. I would love to move back to SD, but it's seems like the best and most affordable way to do it is making a career change

OP
OP
Mitchellmvhs

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Bump curious if anyone on the ground as more info on morale, pay increases, schedules, etc.

From what I could find on the google, sounded like Falck is not doing great. I would love to move back to SD, but it's seems like the best and most affordable way to do it is making a career change
Still curious as well lol, I really want to work ground when I finish medic school down there, but idk how I’ll afford it. I found on Reddit that I think Falck is starting medics at 21hr. And as for the people I’ve talked to at north county fire (fallbrook) I think their single role medics are at 18hr but they’re 48/96 schedule.

Mtnsmedic

Forum Ride Along
Still curious as well lol, I really want to work ground when I finish medic school down there, but idk how I’ll afford it. I found on Reddit that I think Falck is starting medics at 21hr. And as for the people I’ve talked to at north county fire (fallbrook) I think their single role medics are at 18hr but they’re 48/96 schedule.

Makes sense that they are offering 12k sign on bonus for 1 year for full time medics with that type of pay. Even the bonus is not much or worth staying once it’s paid out.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
so here is another thing there was a glitch in the payroll software at falk , and a lot of the San Diego medics and emts didn't receive a paycheck for the month of February. Now they did receive the pay eventually. It was apparently 3 pay periods that were incorrect.