San Diego AMR - Interview

Micey

Forum Probie
Just applied and got an interview set up for April 1st

What should I expect for EMT-B interview with them? Been reading up on local protocols so got that going for me.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Look professional, read up on the company. Let them know what you're looking for. AMR has its own protocols, not sure if you mean that.

Take notes, ask questions. Be polite, respectful, I'd normally say give a firm handshake, but a lot of places have put that on hold. Eye contact.

Bring your certs,ID, DL, e.t.c in case they need them. Be on time and well groomed.

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
How did the interview go? I had an interview their for an EMT IFT position and made it passed the skills test but not the oral one. I have to reschedule to do it again.

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
How did the interview go? I had an interview their for an EMT IFT position and made it passed the skills test but not the oral one. I have to reschedule to do it again.

I got a critical error and didnt study enough, quite sad to say. But I know what to look for and know how to keep my head on straight. Primarily it was for me not studying enough and being nervous. I have a reschedule in May. They were all really nice about it.

-edit

Interviewing for EMT positions is all new to me so I am taking this all with stride just got out of school 2 months ago

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I got a critical error and didnt study enough, quite sad to say. But I know what to look for and know how to keep my head on straight. Primarily it was for me not studying enough and being nervous. I have a reschedule in May. They were all really nice about it.

What do you mean critical error?

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
Was AMR doing NREMT testing?

It was with AMR but not actual NREMT testing. The interview process had me go down the blocks like the NREMT

They have you go in and do a medical assessment and then a trauma assessment

They did all this. I'm sure its different everywhere else.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
It was with AMR but not actual NREMT testing. The interview process had me go down the blocks like the NREMT

They have you go in and do a medical assessment and then a trauma assessment

They did all this. I'm sure its different everywhere else.

Oh. Hmm. Mine didn't have me do this. Maybe SD is 911 so they do.

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Oh. Hmm. Mine didn't have me do this. Maybe SD is 911 so they do.
As far as I know every SoCal AMR does the hiring process this way, when I went it was a full skills test like you do in your EMT class following the same nremt rubric, they then took me for an oral test which I didn’t pass because the SD county ems protocols are different. For some reason CPR ratio is 10-1 and when you start cpr isn’t when PT is pulseless and apneic, but immediately when they loose consciousness. I read the protocols prior, but missed that lol

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
As far as I know every SoCal AMR does the hiring process this way, when I went it was a full skills test like you do in your EMT class following the same nremt rubric, they then took me for an oral test which I didn’t pass because the SD county ems protocols are different. For some reason CPR ratio is 10-1 and when you start cpr isn’t when PT is pulseless and apneic, but immediately when they loose consciousness. I read the protocols prior, but missed that lol
Loss of consciousness then start cpr? Are you talking about when someone is choking? I am looking at the dysrhythmias section and it doesn't say anything about not to do cpr when someone is pulseless.

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Loss of consciousness then start cpr? Are you talking about when someone is choking? I am looking at the dysrhythmias section and it doesn't say anything about not to do cpr when someone is pulseless.
I think it’s in general, when the PT is not conscious when you do AVPU. When I did the verbal test it was 5 questions that they ask you and your only allowed to miss one, he just asked:
“According to SD EMS protocols when do you start CPR”
I said pulseless and apneic but he told me at loss of consciousness.
He also asked me what the Cincinnati stroke scale is and acronym along with APGAR, I forgot one part of apgar and the SD protocol so I didn’t make it through

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
I think it’s in general, when the PT is not conscious when you do AVPU. When I did the verbal test it was 5 questions that they ask you and your only allowed to miss one, he just asked:
“According to SD EMS protocols when do you start CPR”
I said pulseless and apneic but he told me at loss of consciousness.
He also asked me what the Cincinnati stroke scale is and acronym along with APGAR, I forgot one part of apgar and the SD protocol so I didn’t make it through
When you go back are you gonna have to do everything over again? The guy told me if I failed at any of the assessments I will have to reschedule and do everything over again.

when did you go for your interview?

That makes more sense when you have to do CPR - as you do AVPU and they start to loose consciousness

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
When you go back are you gonna have to do everything over again? The guy told me if I failed at any of the assessments I will have to reschedule and do everything over again.

when did you go for your interview?

That makes more sense when you have to do CPR - as you do AVPU and they start to loose consciousness
Oh the guy who did the verbal test told me I only have to redo that portion I failed. Mine was roughly 2 weeks ago March 13th I think, but I haven’t rescheduled yet, i tired calling yesterday but no one answered so I’m gonna try again Monday to reschedule

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
Oh the guy who did the verbal test told me I only have to redo that portion I failed. Mine was roughly 2 weeks ago March 13th I think, but I haven’t rescheduled yet, i tired calling yesterday but no one answered so I’m gonna try again Monday to reschedule
Damn maybe you can get in sooner instead of waiting a whole *** month like me. Have you tried calling the station itself you were applying to instead of the HR rep?
By any chance do you recall how the trauma went? was it pretty simple?

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Damn maybe you can get in sooner instead of waiting a whole *** month like me. Have you tried calling the station itself you were applying to instead of the HR rep?
By any chance do you recall how the trauma went? was it pretty simple?
Sorry man super late reply, but I kinda forgot it but I remember it being I think a call for man down trauma, but it really goes straight off the NREMT rubric. Gotta go through it how it is with abc’s, gcs, full hands on trauma assessment, know what to check for in each location if body. Battle signs, JVD, paradoxical movement, etc. remember to look listen and feel when doing an assesment. I’m actually waiting for a Phone interview with AMR riverside on the 29th so I haven’t rescheduled in SD since I actually live in Riverside county

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
Sorry man super late reply, but I kinda forgot it but I remember it being I think a call for man down trauma, but it really goes straight off the NREMT rubric. Gotta go through it how it is with abc’s, gcs, full hands on trauma assessment, know what to check for in each location if body. Battle signs, JVD, paradoxical movement, etc. remember to look listen and feel when doing an assesment. I’m actually waiting for a Phone interview with AMR riverside on the 29th so I haven’t rescheduled in SD since I actually live in Riverside county
Hey no worries, thats actually pretty long ways from SD. Sorry for all the questions what made you apply to SD over anything in Riverside? I feel like anywhere besides down here in SD you got a better chance with more companies. THeres barely any companies down here that are hiring. Glad you got an opportunity up by where you live!

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Hey no worries, thats actually pretty long ways from SD. Sorry for all the questions what made you apply to SD over anything in Riverside? I feel like anywhere besides down here in SD you got a better chance with more companies. THeres barely any companies down here that are hiring. Glad you got an opportunity up by where you live!
Nah man I don’t mind it’s cool, I’m in the sam boat tryna find my first EMT Job. I actually did apply to a bunch of places in riverside but I never got any interviews except for symons but they canceled due to virus, and at the time riverside AMR wasn’t hiring, I’m really just tryna get in anywhere that’ll take me

OP
OP
Micey

Micey

Forum Probie
Nah man I don’t mind it’s cool, I’m in the sam boat tryna find my first EMT Job. I actually did apply to a bunch of places in riverside but I never got any interviews except for symons but they canceled due to virus, and at the time riverside AMR wasn’t hiring, I’m really just tryna get in anywhere that’ll take me
sht I applied for symons too no wonder they never replied back. Kinda glad i am not alone on SoCal jobs not being a thing rn

have you applied for that california covid volunteer thing yet? Hoping I can hop on that and gain some experience atleast.