SAH-associated myocardial injury

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
"The brain-heart interaction is well recognized after neulogical insults, particularly after a SAH, and is thought to be catecholamine mediated. SAH-associated myocardial injury is a type of neurocardiac injury that involves myocardial dysfunction associated with subarachnoid bleed. Approximately one third of patients with a SAH experience this complication. SAH-associated myocardial injury is partly attributed to sudden sympathetic activation at the time of aneurysm rupture, which cause a rapid and sustained increase in serum catecholamine levels, directly damaging the heart and resulting in myocardial contraction band necrosis. Importantly, it is not associated with myocardial ischemia. Nevertheless, the subsequent myocardial cellular damage is manifested by systemic hypoperfusion, ECG changes, elevated cardiac enzymes, and wall-motion abnormalities."

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Not very common but I've seen it a few times. Patho is similar to other catecholemine dumps like with Pheo or Cocaine overdose. Neurogenic T waves are pretty impressive on a 12 lead.

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Can someone explain “myocardial contraction band necrosis?” I get that a sympathetic surge is believed to be the underlying cause, but why would this cause myocardial cell death? There are lots of things that can stimulate a sympathetic response, so why would it cause damage to your heart?

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Thanks. That article says it’s a reperfusion injury due to hypercontraction. Kind of hard to picture though. You could imagine how a large dose of cocaine could cause super tachycardia and greatly increased contraction leading to ischemia. But it’s hard seeing how your own body could trigger such a response and that an otherwise healthy heart could not handle it

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Can someone explain “myocardial contraction band necrosis?” I get that a sympathetic surge is believed to be the underlying cause, but why would this cause myocardial cell death? There are lots of things that can stimulate a sympathetic response, so why would it cause damage to your heart?

Happens in Takotsubo cardiomyopathy too. Contraction band necrosis is a sign of catecholamine cardiotoxicity. Sorry if I'm repeating something from above...haven't scanned everything real well.

Free text article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17527000

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Apparently so. There was a recent article in the Journal of Emergency Nursing about this. Quite interesting.