Rural Metro

almostglue

Forum Ride Along
So I've been an EMT for... 3 years now (doesn't seem like it) but I work for the volunteer service at my university. This summer I was looking to get a job at a city/county ambulance service to get more experience and see some more interesting stuff. I get tired of the drunks and the whiners (which I know come with every service, but that's about all we get at my school). The only service really near my home is Rural Metro. I've heard some mixed reviews about it, but I'm hoping the bad stories are more about bad medics than the company itself. Anyone here know anything about the hiring process for Rural Metro (exam, interview, etc.) and what it's like to work for them (how they operate, how they treat their people)? I'm in Atlanta, GA; but the process is probably similar across the country. By the way, I'm an EMT-I. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I work for RM Colorado. I like it. I would be willing to bet there are the same ammount of bad things said about every service you could talk about. Most of the bad I hear is from a few who simply just do not "fit" in. Just because you can get hired by an outfit does it mean it is the right job for you. I would suggest if you want to, go for it. You may find out that the stories were just stories. The same can be said for partners. You may talk with 10 people that cannot stand to work with a certain individual. You can listen to them and not work with this person either, or try a shift and find out they are the perfect partner for you. As far as the hiring process, I do interviews, clearance rides, etc. here. I will find out if it is the same there and get back to you.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Almostglue... Welcome to EMTLife!

And CO, thanks for helping him/her out. :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
almostglue said:
So I've been an EMT for... 3 years now (doesn't seem like it) but I work for the volunteer service at my university. This summer I was looking to get a job at a city/county ambulance service to get more experience and see some more interesting stuff. I get tired of the drunks and the whiners (which I know come with every service, but that's about all we get at my school). The only service really near my home is Rural Metro. I've heard some mixed reviews about it, but I'm hoping the bad stories are more about bad medics than the company itself. Anyone here know anything about the hiring process for Rural Metro (exam, interview, etc.) and what it's like to work for them (how they operate, how they treat their people)? I'm in Atlanta, GA; but the process is probably similar across the country. By the way, I'm an EMT-I. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

First, welcome to EMTLife!

I work for a private ambulance service, and while it's not RM, I think I can safely say they're very similar. Like any job you're going to have people you love and others you may hate. Working in an ambulance for a long shift only makes the experience more enjoyable or painful.

I've heard good things about RM, and they're one of the largest private EMS companies out there. It seems as they they drive large rigs and use newer technology. Being a private EMS company I'm sure you're going to see a lot of BLS calls depending on where you're stationed.

I'd go ahead with it and see how you like it. This will be your first experience in private EMS, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Be sure to come back here and keep us updated on what you do and if you decide to take a job with Rural/Metro :)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :)Welcome! :) :) :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I work PRN for the Largest ambulance service in the nation. (I think RM is #2 or #3 - the other might be Acadian).

The hiring process for us seems to vary, as do position requirements. I'm 20 and have been an EMT for 4+ years and already had EVOC. I was a driver after I'd been there 3 weeks and did my "road test" with a supervisor (Road test being drive around the block in the big box and don't scratch it ;) ). When I was in Louisana, I worked with other folks my age who weren't allowed to be drivers until they were 21 or even older.

I had to fill out an application, go through a scripted interview, take a written test and do a skills station. Really wasn't that hard.

Jon

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Gee Jon, does that mean you work for AMR??? I work for a county service. We are underpaid, overworked, and until recently we hired anyone with a card and a pulse. Thanksfully that ahs changed recently. We now have an interview and a assessment center with a written test and patient care report. I work for R/M 8 years ago, and it was interesting...mainly because they went out of business here 2 yrs later. I prefer my government job though, ya know the job will always be there and I get state benefits!

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Glue, let me formally welcome you to the most interesting EMS related website I have found...we are a fun and sometimes silly "family", and we are always ready to welcome new members to our "family", so welcome, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

nyc.ems

Forum Crew Member
Hey Glue,welcome!to Get The Experience Youre Looking For,try Working Street Ems In A Fast Paced Area.i'm Pretty Sure Atlanta Is Fast Paced.try It Out....

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Yes ATL is certainly fast paced glue...but isn't much of the EMS there done by the FD? I am sure a private service is there too...so if fighting fire isnt your thing try the private people out.

OP
OP
A

almostglue

Forum Ride Along
FFEMT1764 said:
Yes ATL is certainly fast paced glue...but isn't much of the EMS there done by the FD? I am sure a private service is there too...so if fighting fire isnt your thing try the private people out.

Atlanta is fairly fast paced... anyone ever heard of Grady :rolleyes: ? For those of you that know or have heard about it it's certainly... something. As far as fire goes, most of the counties do have fire and ems combined. I'd love to work for the county and do fire, too. I love hanging out at the firehouse and working there would be cool, I just don't have the time it takes to be fire trained and then actually use the training. If I did I'd be in paramedic school, too, cause I'm all about going as far as you can go with training. This is going to be just a summer job (or longer if I don't get into the vet schools I'm applying to).

I've got a couple of friends who are working for AMR who are contracting with the county to provide basic rescues, but I'm more interested in Rural/Metro... it seems to be a bit more respected around here and I think I'd get to do a lot more. The AMR units basically just transport but the RM units where I live are the county providers so they see it all. I was just wondering about the hiring process cause I know a bit about AMR's and they're probably comparable? It just makes me nervous having to be tested again. I mean, I know what I'm doing... just tests mess with my head. I just wanted to be a bit more prepared before I jumped in, knowing what I'm gonna have to do can't hurt!